Roofing/Connection for help

Back porch
Back porch  

Roof connection
Roof connection  
I'm starting a project this Spring trying to rebuild and extend my back porch.  Have some roofing experience with shingles not the framing part.  Trying to read and find ideas for connecting to my garage.  I'll be raising the height of the porch even with the peak of the garage on left and then creating a valley at a 45 out to the posts on the end of the back porch. (Sorry if I have terminology wrong). I'm sending a picture of my house and an internet picture showing the way I want to connect it to the garage on the left (I think).  The water off the garage has ruined the back porch.  Also just trying to make a connection who I can ask as I go through the process this summer.  Any help, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

The theory should be fine but with regard to the actual structural attachments I'd refer you to a structural engineer to verify that the attachment can take the additional structural elements.
Sorry I'm not a lot of help regarding the structural parts - I'm a roof guy!
Good luck,

Aaron Nelson

All types of questions with regard to roofing, waterproofing and sheet metal. This includes commercial and residential buildings, along with the various aspects of the construction means and methods, ventilation, steep-slope or low-slope, code requirements, installation errors and other such problems

I started in roofing fabricating and installing sheet metal flashings out of high school for a large commercial contractor. I worked for the same contractor in the office estimating and project managing commercial project for 10 years. I left the construction side of roofing and now work as a roof consultant, which I have been doing for 8-years.

RCI, Inc.

I am a Registered Roof Consultant (RRC) and a Registered Roof Observer (RRO) through RCI, Inc. RCI is a international group of building envelope professionals. I am an approved instructor for RCI educational programs.

We have worked with many local school districts, insurance companies, HOA's, building management companies, and we have a national client with buildings located throughout the US.