Roofing/roof replacement

What does a decent roofing contract look like? Contractor suggests Certainteed Landmark comp shingles, is this a good shingle? The contract is not very detailed as to materials to be used. Just seems too simplified. I'm hoping the contract covers all the important basis before I sign it.

Thank you for your response.

I hope you're doing well.

To answer your question about Certainteed being a good shingle.  I'm sure it's a decent shingle, i haven't had much experience with them.  It kind of depends who you ask.  The 3 major shingle manufactures are Certainteed, Owns Corning and GAF.   It seems to vary from region to region as to what shingle is preferred.  For example in our area GAF is the dominant brand but further north it's Certainteed.

As for the contract I always recommend getting at least 3 estimates from 3 separate roofing companies.  That way you can make you decision on who you're more comfortable with.  However the estimates are pretty basic.  Probably states that they'll remove the existing shingles, replace rotted wood for an additional fee, most offer to include a certain amount of wood work in the original price. Make sure the extra work charges are agreed upon before work begins to avoid any money disputes after the job is completed. it should state what underlayment they'll be applying to the deck, which shingles they intend to install and the material and (their) workmanship warranty.  Others may address what type of flashings, valley materials and drip edge too.

Hope this helped answer your question, best of luck!
Jesse Curry
Roofing by Curry

Jesse Curry

I can answer questions pertaining to residential roofing, including shingles, roof tile, and low slope roofing.

I've been the Vice President of Roofing By Curry for 12 years and I have 22 years of residential roofing experience.

I'm a member of the FRSA and the local chapter called SMRSMCA.

I have a Florida State roofing license, CCC1325849.