Roofing/roofing estimate eval

Question
Hi  ,
         I have a roof in need of shingle replacements and possibly a few sheets of deck boards because we had about 10-12 shingles that went flying off the roof recently because of high wind. That being said, I had the 2 biggest home improvement companies give me a quote on the work and although they both promised to do the work in similar ways I need some help understanding the better choice by sifting thru the details.
Both will remove existing shingles; inspect roof deck replace as necessary at additional charge, (5 included FREE), Cut and install Ridge vent package.

However, (though some of these might mean the same thing to a knowledgeable person) hereís the breakdown of the remaining items

Company 1          
Install drip edge flashing around perimeter of roof.       
Install new brown aluminum flashing around any chimneys.
Company 2
Install at all eaves areas

Company 1   
Install new boot flanges around vent pipes.
Company 2
Replace one pipe flange   (not sure of the difference between boot flange & a flange)

Company 1   
Install 6 ft of ice and water shield up from all eves and 3 feet at rakes, around chimney, at junction where roof meets siding.
Company 2
Install Wheatherloc Ice and water barrier 6ft from all eaves

Company 1   
Install 30lb felt paper to cover remaining exposed decking.
Company 2
Deck Defense synthetic underlayment on all non-ice shielded areas (which I believe is the equivalent of 30lb or better according to the rep!.. )

Company 1   
Install Pro-starter strip around perimeter of roof line.
Company 2
Starter shingles as needed at eave      
(Iím concerned as to what should be the proper approach here ! please advise)

Company 1   
Install architectural roofing shingles with 6 nails per.
Company 2
Special Owens Corning system where the nails has a flat washer around it which is supposed to be better and prevent incorrect nailing and therefore requires 4 nails vs 6.

Company 1   
Install Hip & Ridge shingles.
Company 2
Owen Corning True Definition Duration shingles

Iím also concerned about the warranty difference and am hoping you can provide a quick evaluation based on the info Iíve provided because of course we my luck itís now spring and itís going to rain all week.

Answer
Ash,

Company 1 seems to have made a generic proposal whereas Company 2 appears to have addressed the project specifically (do you have rake edges or a chimney?).

Company 1 has a better layout for the self adhering underlayment, flashing at rake edges if you have them, and I think has a better plan to address your penetrations.  There is nothing wrong with 30lb felt, it will last longer than your shingles and offers little advantage over synthetic.

Starter shingles are starter shingles, I would assume that both are planning on using a standard rubber pipe boot integrated into a metal flange.

Six nails are for high wind or really steep slopes, or a special heavy shingle.  Not much of an advantage over four nails and washers.  Your installer will be the only one that can prevent incorrect nailing.

You have not provided any warranty information, however the only warranty worth anything related to shingles is the contractor labor warranty.  Two years is standard from my experience.

From what you have provided, company 1 would be my choice.

Best of Luck!

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO