Roofing/Barrier films in Roofing

Question
Hello,
we are working on a research project on new application fields for barrier films. The barrier films are currently used in food packaging, and they are waterproof, gasproof, water vapour proof, etc.

Can you think of any specific fields, where those barrier functions are required in roofing? (i.e. flat roofs?)
Are there any special characteristics that are needed for the films used in roofing?

Thank you for your help, this is really appreciated.
Best wishes,
Julia

Answer
Julia,
This is an interesting question. Obviously if this type of film is used in roofing it would have to be UV stable. Additionally it would need to be highly puncture resistant. There would need to be methods in place to make repairs to the film.
We currently see barrier films in place with regard to air barriers that are installed (generally) on the interior of the building, or behind exterior cladding so that their exterior exposure is generally limited.
Interesting research - good luck.
Aaron

Roofing

Aaron Nelson