Roofing/vent pipe collars

Hello, The black rubber collars that prevent leaks and also hold the PVC vent pipes in place on my asphalt roof developed cracks and I replaced them. Since replacing, I can't get the new collars to 'seat' properly. I've lined everything up and pressed firmly all around the collars. Everything seems fine until we get heavy wind. Then the collars loosen up and the vent pipes rattle back and forth, creating noise inside my home.

I'm thinking about gluing the collars to the metal flange beneath to hold them in place. If you think this would work, what type or brand of glue would you recommend?

Thanks, John

Good morning John,

I haven't heard of the black rubber collars not fitting correctly.  

They must be a tad to big.  

Putting a little caulking (construction adhesive) under them should solve this problem.  

As for the type of caulking I would would something that is polyether based.  The sealant I used are only available at a roofing distributor.

I have several roofing distributors by me.  You should have at a least one.

If you want a professional grade caulking (and its not a bad idea) then google your local roofing distributor and head down there.  

If you like bring one of the collars and explain the problem.  

I think the caulking would be a fine remedy.

We use rubber EPDM storm collars made by the company "Wilmar".  

They always fit and they last.  They don't make all the sizes. And, some of the distributors only carry them in bags of 24 pieces.  So, That may not be an option.  And, they don;t make larger sizes.  

Anyways, hope this helps.  Good job for keeping up on the maintenance of your roof.  Its important!

Brian Atkins

I can answer any questions related to all type of roof repairs (especially tile roof repair and flat roof repair work). I can also answer most new roof or roofing related questions with the exception of questions in regards to single ply roofing (PVC) and standing seam or metal panel roofing. I have little or no experience with those applications.

I was first introduced to roofing by my father who was started his own roofing career in Orange County CA. By the time I was 10 years old I knew what most general roofing materials were and had some idea of their purpose. At the age of thirteen I started working during the summers doing roofing. After graduating from High School I began working full time as a journeyman roofer doing roof repair work and complete new roofs. My area of specialty and interests has always been on the roof repair side of the business. In 1997 I took the CSLB testing and qualified for a license on my own and moved my roofing business location to Lake Forest, CA 92630. Currently I operate South County Roofing company serving the following areas of Orange County Anaheim, Anaheim Hills, Aliso Viejo, Buena Park, Brea, Cypress, Capistrano Beach, Costa Mesa, Corona Del Mar, Dana Point, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Foothill Ranch, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Beach, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Orange, Newport Beach, Newport Coast, Placentia, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Clemente, Seal Beach, Silverado Canyon, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana, Tustin, Trabuco Canyon, Villa Park, Westminster, Yorba Linda.

I have written articles about roofing in general for a couple local magazines.

La Quinta High School 1988 Westminster, Ca 92683-7098

We have a bunch of Certifications from most of the roofing manufactures, some "Best of Awards" from things like Angie's List and some others that I can't remember.

Just your average everyday people. We did a nice little restoration project for the California Department of Parks and Recreation in 2005, the Crystal Cove Beach Cottages -