Roofing/Elk did not hold up well

Question
11/17/98 a local contractor roofed our house after a storm.
Elk Prestige Asphalt shingles with stain guard , 30 year warranty. Shakewood color.  It did not hold up well, and has had to be patched, and now has one or two leaks.   The contractor cannot be located; and according to some talk died a few years ago.  I found the Elk warranty today and wonder if they would furnish the shingles for reproofing.
However, I cannot locate a phone for them. Five are shown on the warranty.  If ours were manufactured in Georgia, Norcross would be the closest, but I don't find them there either.  
When was Elk bought out?  By whom? Does the buyer honor
the Elk warranty?
Please help me.  Jo Chastain  Fayetteville, Ga.

Answer
Hi Jo,

The reason you cant find a phone number of Elk Corp is because they were bought by another roofing shingle manufacturer called Gaf.

This happened about 10 years ago.

You can try and contact Gaf for warranty info and hopefully they would help.

Keep in mind manufacturer defects is not the only reason you may get a leak.  A lot of time improper installation causes a lot of problems as well.  

Also, you can get roof leaks from caulking failure and improper flashing.  Bith of these would not be covered by the manufacture.

I would guess the later two explanations are most likely what has happened.

Yiu can call a local licensed roofer and hopefully get a first hand look at the problem.

I hope this helps you.  

Roofing

Brian Atkins