Roofing/Roofing nail protruding from roof

Question
Roof nail
Roof nail  
Hello: My upstairs bathroom faces the back lane with the roof of an attached dinette just under the bathroom window. I happened to look out the window today,and about 36" from the window,I saw a 1-1/4" roofing nail sticking out of the roof with about 1/4" showing. I have ice dam membrane under the whole dinette roof. Not sure if I did the right thing,but I leaned out of the window and pulled the nail out with my fingers and filled the hole with a dab of silicone sealant.Did I do the right thing? Or should I have just left the nail alone? The only reason I removed it was so I wouldn't have my roof rake snag on it when I removed snow in winter. Please advise,thanks!

Answer
Michael,
The nail was most likely an underdriven nail that had worked its way through the overlying shingle. I'd recommend that you remove the silicone sealant and utilize some modified mastic which can be found typically at any hardware store. This material can come in a tube or pail (for the small amount you need I'd recommend a tube) and you only need a small amount. Lift up the overlying shingle and insert the mastic into the hole that is remaining in the underlying shingle, trying to get a little bit to the underlayment. You are really trying to make sure that the underlayment is sealed, followed by the shingles.
While lifting the shingles you will likely dis-bond the seal-down strip which adheres the shingles together. Just use a small amount (quarter sized) of the mastic in the corners of the tab to re-adhere until the seal-down strip re-adheres.
Good luck!
Aaron

Roofing

Aaron Nelson