Roses/Mr. Lincoln Rose

Hi- I recently read on your site while researching this breed of rose that it was introduced in 1964. I distinctly remember as a 3-4 Y.O.child in Scotland in the 40's, my grandfather letting me smell a rose in someone's garden. That fragrance stayed with me all my life-and helped me get that particular rose when I finally had a garden. Can your expert explain how it was only bred or intro'd in '64 yet I remember it from my childhood?
Thank You

Hello Shields,

Europe was well advanced for rose hybridization in the 40's.  The rose you remembered was most likely a European variety that had a strong fragrance and similar color to Mr.Lincoln.

From what I have found about Mr. Lincoln, it was a seedling that Mr.Swim had in the 60's.

No chance you know the name of the rose from your childhood?

Hope that helps.

Jay Hiers

Since I work with roses professionally and as a hobby, I am comfortable answering most rose growing/ culture questions. I am knowledgeable in both issues most rose growers face: to spray or not to spray roses. I am familiar with all insect and diseases that can afflict roses. If there is any question that I may not be comfortable with, it would be roses grown in extreme cold climates.

My experience involves 12 years plus of growing roses for both a city-owned rose garden (approx. 4,800 plants) as well as a home rose garden (approx 200 plants). This includes daily maintenance and care to keep these plants doing what they are bred to do- produce roses. Besides being in the garden, I lecture to different rose societies about choosing the correct roses to grow in their area and general information about rose care. Most of my lectures are in the Southeast but I will be speaking at the American Rose Society’s convention in Los Angeles this October. I even go to schools to talk to students about the scientific process of hybridizing roses in hopes of getting them interested in roses and gardening in general.

I belong to the American Rose Society, the Carolina District Rose Society, and the South Carolina Rose Society. I am Co-Editor of ARS Kidz n Roses newsletter. I also serve on the American Rose Society Board of Directors and the ARS Audit Committee.

I received a Bachelors of Landscape Architecture from Louisiana State University in 1991.

I have been elected to the following offices: President of the South Carolina Rose Society (2009-2011), Carolina District Director (2009- current) and 2nd. Vice President for the Augusta Rose Society (2008-2009).