Rowing/What top schools have women's lightweight rowing?

rocoach wrote at 2010-01-17 20:39:32
This is an easy one. Cut and paste this link: http://row2k.com/polls/index.cfm?cat=college&ID=252&type=cMax%20Rankings

Click on "Women's Eight, through June 7, 2009."  This pulls up a spreadsheet that shows the final 2009 standings of every women's team (based on the varsity 8+). Select the "Lwt" sheet to see all the teams that had a lightweight 8+ last year, together with their relative performances.

For more information about becoming a recruited college rower check out this website: http://athletesbooks.com/rowing/row-in-college/

rower111 wrote at 2010-02-25 18:56:56
Hello,

I also just wanted to add that many many girls that go into college as a lightweight aren't lightweight in the spring because of weightlifting and harder workouts and tend to not be lightweight again.  They are putting stricter guidelines on lightweights as well, at least at my school.  Body fat has to be above a certain percentage and you have to be a certain weight by a certain date or the athletic training staff will not allow you to row lightweight.  But, if she still wants to try lightweight some of the southern schools in Florida like Tampa, NSU, Stetson, etc. They will throw together light 4's or 8s if there are enough lightweights on the team.  Most of them don't have official lightweight programs but I would check results of FIRAS, SIRAS, and dad vails for schools with entries in both open and light so that if she does gain weight she doesn't have to be under pressure of losing it and decreasing her performance. also check that if the school is NCAA and if they give scholarships.

Old Stroke wrote at 2010-04-07 19:28:13
As a high school, college and master's rower whose daughter currently rows for the Wisco lights and who was recruited by both light and open weight teams, let me add a few comments.  First, lw rowing is something of a stepchild.  Do not expect as much recruiting "push" or scholarship money for lw rowing.  Wisco, which has been national champion in women's lights for 6 of the past 7 years gives no scholarship to lightweights, even though it does give scholarship to openweights.  Different schools, including Ivies, have different abilities to "help" athletes with admission.  Unlike all of the other schools, which use "letters of intent" coupled with scholarship money to recruit athletes (including rowers), the Ivies have a very non-transparent (and, in some cases, unfair) athlete recruiting process.  Ivy coaches do have a finite number of "admission slots" but, since Ivy rules require that all recruited Ivy athletes have an average high school GPA that is very close to the average GPA of the entire class, getting someone in who is outside the zone is tough.  Moreover, Ivy schools usually count on rowers to bring UP the athletes' GPA average, to compensate for recruited athletes in other sports whose HS GPA is often lower.  Beware of any school that pressures your daughter into applying for early decision on the basis of a "likely to be admitted" letter from the coach in the fall.  These don't bind the admissions office.  I know of an athlete (not a rower) who received such a letter from a coach at Williams but was rejected -- not just deferred -- early admission.  Because athlete recruiting programs work in the fall, he was SOL for playing his sport (lacrosse) in college.  My daughter, who's natural weight is just under 130, even though she's 5'9," elected to go light and turned down 2 letters of intent for openweight crews.  This year's Yale women's varsity eight has eight 6-footers; US rowing national team specifies 5' 10" as the minimum height for women to try out, unless they can show a very good reason for an exception.  If your daughter is carrying some extra weight, perhaps she can row lights; but starving down to make weight is very disfavored, especially with young women.  

atlantanative wrote at 2010-11-08 15:33:45
Although this is late in a reply, if your daughter is looking for a decent school as well as a lightweight program, I would suggest Georgia Tech. It is a premier school, especially in engineering and management majors. Although they have a club program, their lightweights are very decent, having gotten 2nd last spring at Dad Vails in the lightweight 8. They had a strong performance at Head of the Chattanooga, Charles, and Hooch as well in the light 4 and light 8. Their website does not offer much though, so I would suggest emailing the women's head coach for more info.

ontherunandrow wrote at 2013-01-24 15:42:27
Take a look at the University of Tulsa. Coach Kevin Harris is a great guy who is in the process of building a highly competitive lightweight team. It's a Division I program at a small school (about 3000 undergrads) which is very strong academically. They were 3rd in college team points at 2012 Head of the Hooch where their ltw8 and ltw4 both took gold. Here's the link to their website: Tulsa Official Athletic Site - Women's Rowing

Rowing

Al Pepper