Royalty/Andrew and Camilla Parker-Bowles's marriage

When was the above marriage annulled? What grounds were given by Rome for its annulment, if any? I assume that it was a church wedding in the first place or it wouldn't have been necessary to annul it. Am I right?

Andrew Parker-Bowles and Camilla Shand were married in a service at the Guards Chapel, Wellington Barracks, London, on 4 July 1973. This was according to the rites of the Roman Catholic church, although an Anglican priest also took part. They were divorced 19 January 1995 in civil law. There is some uncertainty as to whether the marriage was annulled by the Roman Catholic Church. Some sources say it was (e.g. David Twiston Davies, "The Prince may have to make a sacrifice", Catholic Herald, 18th February 2005), some otherwise. In 1996, Andrew married Rosemary Pitman, with whom he had been involved for some years. They had a civil marriage, as Andrew and Rosemary were both divorced. It was said that Andrew Parker Bowles had not sought an annulment for his first marriage. Clarence House declined to comment on whether it had been officially annulled, saying it was a 'private matter'.  

Professor Noel Cox

I am an expert on monarchy and royalty. My particular areas of interest are the New Zealand and British monarchies. Special areas in which I have written include constitutional law, the law of succession, peerage and honours, heraldry and ceremonial.

I was Chairman of Monarchy New Zealand (formerly known as the Monarchist League of New Zealand), the leading monarchist organisation in New Zealand, 2000-2010. I am also a constitutional lawyer, holding a university chair as Professor of Constitutional Law. From 2010 I have been a professor of law (and until 2013 head of the law school) at Aberystwyth University, Wales.

Australasian Law Teachers Association; Commonwealth Lawyers Association; Legal Research Foundation; Monarchy New Zealand Inc (Fellow); The Australian and New Zealand Law and History Society; The Royal Historical Society (Fellow); The Society of Legal Scholars; The Ecclesiastical Law Society; Honourable Society of the Inner Temple; Affirming Catholicism; The University of Auckland Legacy Society; The University of Wales Guild of Graduates; The Mission Society of St Wilfrid and St Hilda; International Commission and Association on Nobility; Irish Peers’ Association; Centre for Law and Religion.

“The Royal Prerogative in the Realms” (2007) 33(4) Commonwealth Law Bulletin 611-638; “The Office of the Chief Herald of Ireland and continuity of legal authority” (2007) 29 Dublin University Law Journal 84-110; “The Revenge of the Arcane Exclusion Clause: The Civil Registration of Marriage and the Royal Family” (2005) 5(2) Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal 179-204; “The effect of the advent of the Mixed-Member Proportional voting system upon the role of the Governor-General of New Zealand” (2002) 14(2) Bond Law Review 424-441; “The Treaty of Waitangi and the Relationship between Crown and Maori in New Zealand” (2002) 28(1) Brooklyn Journal of International Law 123-153; “The Theory of Sovereignty and the Importance of the Crown in the Realms of The Queen” (2002) 2(2) Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal 237-255; “Black v Chrétien: Suing a Minister of the Crown for Abuse of Power, Misfeasance in Public Office and Negligence” (September 2002) 9(3) E-Law, Murdoch University Electronic Journal of Law available at ; “The Evolution of the Office of Governor-General of New Zealand” (2001) 5(1&2) Mountbatten Journal of Legal Studies 51-77; “Republican Sentiment in the Realms of the Queen: The New Zealand Perspective” (2001-2002) 29(1) Manitoba Law Journal 1-28; “The control of advice to the Crown and the development of executive independence in New Zealand” (2001) 13(1) Bond Law Review 166-189; “The Law of Succession to the Crown in New Zealand” (1999) 7 Waikato Law Review 49-72; “The Law of Arms in New Zealand” (1998) 18(2) New Zealand Universities Law Review 225-256; “The British Peerage: The Legal Standing of the Peerage and Baronetage in the Overseas Realms of the Crown with Particular Reference to New Zealand” (1997) 17 (4) New Zealand Universities Law Review 379-401.

After attending grammar school in Takapuna, I took up the study of law at the University of Auckland. After graduation with an LL.B. I was admitted and enrolled as a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand. I then undertook an LL.M. at the same university, and received the Fowlds Memorial Prize as most distinguished student in the Faculty of Law. I subsequently undertook a Ph.D. My doctoral research was under the supervision of Associate Professor Raymond Miller, and was on the topic of the “The Evolution of the New Zealand Monarchy: The Recognition of an Autochthonous Polity”.

Visiting Fellow, St Edmund's College, University of Cambridge 2009 Visiting Fellow, Wolfson College, University of Cambridge 2006 Fellow of The Royal Historical Society 2004- Visiting Fellow, Faculty of Law, The Australian National University 2003-2004 Vice-Chancellor’s Excellence Award, Researcher, Auckland University of Technology 2002 Fowlds Memorial Prize in Law, as the most distinguished student in the Faculty of Law, The University of Auckland 1994 Grand Cordon, The Royal and Hashemite Order of the Pearl (Sultanate of Sulu) 2011

Books include - Constitutional paradigms and the stability of states (Ashgate, 2012); A Constitutional History of the New Zealand Monarchy (V.D.M., 2008);