Royalty/Divorcee on the Throne?

Question
Hi there, Edward had to abdicate because he was marrying a divorcee. Because Charles got divorced and remarried does that mean he has forfeited the throne to William? Or is the decision up to the monarch?.There is obviously prescedent for him to forfeit the throne, but can the Queen just change the rules?

Answer
A lot has changed since 1936 - for a start divorce is now common. Inheritance is automatic so Parliament would have to approve a change. In Edward's case that meant of the UK but now most of the realms would have to agree and I don't think that would happen. In any event Charles hasn't given any suggestion that he doesn't want the throne and nor is there any indication that the Queen would want it - she is opposed to the very idea of abdication.

Royalty

Professor Noel Cox