Rubber/EPDM Rubber odor reduction

I have a need to find a way to reduce significantly the odor that is associated with EPDM rubber after it is cured. Currently investigating the addition of these candidates :

Activated Charcoal
Calcium Bicarbonate
Zinc Carbonate

to the compound. Our application is a rubber airline that users can be sensitive to a strong smell.  Do you have any experience in trying to reduce the odor (sulfur like smell) with additives like these and what levels may work?

Dear Andrew,

The best is to cure the EPDM compound using a peroxide and a co-agent and after curing do a oven treatmente for 4 hours at 100C.

Other think check if the odor is not related to the type of plasticizer used, very high paraffinic oil with high flash point is indicated.

Luis Antonio Tormento

Operational Chemical Engineer with specialization in rubber compounding and processing: - Vast knowledge on rubber molding techniques: extrusion, press and injection molding. - Marketing expertise on the development of applications of rubber chemicals, precipitated silica and specialty rubbers. - In his career he developed numerous production compounds for automotive and industrial hose, rubber mats, retread compounds, tire compounds, shoe soles and molded products. TPE/TPV/TPO applications

I have 36 years working in plant processing of hose, tire, shoes and press/injected cured rubber compounds and technical assistance for two big raw material suppliers: Chemtura and Nitriflex. Actually I have my own company

2006-2011 - Rubber Division Director - Brazil Rubber Group 2008-2009 - Vice President - Brazil Rubber Group 2002-2007 - President - Brazil Rubber Group 2000-2001 - Technical Director - Brazil Rubber Group

Several papers published on magazines, congress and conferences about rubber processing and compounding

Chemical Engineer by FEI - Brazil (1979) Advanced Rubber Technology - Rubber Division (1992) University Expert on Plastic and Rubber - UNED (Spain) - 2002