Rugby/Which position?

Hello Nick,
I am brand new to the sport of rugby and I was wondering if you could help me figure out what position I should opt to play in. I live in Ireland and there are three clubs within fifteen km of my hometown.
I have previously played gaelic football and soccer, as well as touch rugby numerous times. I am 19.
I weigh about 13 stone 5lb,
and I am 5'10 in height.

I can catch and kick and have a good enough pass too. I also like the physical aspect of the game and dont mind collisions or rucks etc. I am fast, but not really fast, but I have got a good level of fitness and resistance built up. I never got injured playing any other sport before.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks for your time,
R. Gallagher

Hi Rian,

I think from your size and if you are on the high end of fit you should go for the flanker position. Another option could be hooker, if you have big props.

To start I would try blind side flanker. Look through my older answered questions for tips on flanker and even google the position for ideas.

Basically on defense you hunt the ball and put pressure on the #10 at scrum time and on attack you are a ball runner and in support of the ball carrier.

Watch a lot of rugby and focus on your position as well.

Nick Vujnovich

I can answer most questions in detail but I am best used for "Forward" positions especially the "tight 5" and the scrum. I am a front row guy myself. I have good knowledge of game strategy and tactics. I cannot give detailed help with kicking myself but I can suggest general training applications and point you towards good resources. I am a New Zealander living in Southern California, USA. With regard to fitness or weight training: please understand that you are best going to a gym and getting first hand consultation from a qualified trainer. The risk of injury is too great for me to simply give you a program without being able to analyze your fitness or capabilities in person. I really suggest going through my previously answered questions as well. The most common repeat questions refer to tackling.

I have played rugby from the age of 5 (I am 41 now) I have played "Premier" rugby in New Zealand, London, California, Colorado. I have coached youth, Mens and Womens rugby.

College Degree

Forwards MVP 2004 Season Back Bay Sharks, Newport Beach Ca., Division 1.