Running a Restaurant/Executive Chef

Question
Greetings Jeffrey,

I have five years experience owning and operating a medium sized restaurant.  Currently, I am pursuing another concept.  I have my business plan, concept, design, and branding complete.  I will be the owner and general manager and am searching for an executive chef/partner.

How do I determine the best compensation plan as I interview these potential hires? What is a competitive offering?

Thank you,

Answer
Several questions you have to ask yourself, your market and the candidates.

What type of compensation package would be competitive in your market for a comparable position? So you'll have to investigate what everyone else in the market is offering.
What type of package have they enjoyed in the past?
What type of package can you afford?
What type of split between base salary and bonus will you/they accept? More and more positions are relying less on base salary and more on bonusing based on performance.
Will they need to relocate for you? Is that part of their package?
Will they be under a contract, licensing or other agreement?
Will they be a capital partner or simply an operating partner? Will an investment in the business from them, be required?

Once you answer these, you'll be a lot further down the road.  

Running a Restaurant

Jeffrey Summers