Running a Restaurant/Worksheets

Hello David,

I'm getting ready to take ownership of a turnkey. I was wondering if you had any worksheets or forms I'm going to need for my records and employees. Thanks for your help!

Hi Stefania,

I am sure that there are many, many documents that you will need to have on hand to effectively manage this restaurant. In fact, you should be preparing an Operations Manual which will contain all of the documents that you will need to consistently run your restaurant.  Dependent upon the size of the restaurant and number of employees, this manual could contain as few as thirty documents and as many as three hundred.  Everything from what your employees should say when he or she answers your restaurant's phone to safety and sanitation to position descriptions to shelf life charts, plate and portion guides, etc. should be included.  Even if the restaurant is a "turnkey" situation, you will only be as good as the past operator was (and they would not have sold or closed if they were very good) unless you do things differently in order to give your guests a CONSISTENTLY great experience.  In order to do this, you will need very, very effective training - and in order to accomplish that kind of training you will need a meaningful operations manual.

That being said, I will be happy to email you a list of documents that are typically in a comprehensive manual if you will contact me directly at my email address below.  Also, I will be happy to send you a restaurant profit and loss template that we use with our clients to help them manage their costs more effectively.

Stefania, we work with restaurants across the country and internationally.  One of the services we offer is to create and assemble effective training tools, including operations manuals.  If we can be of service, just email me and we can set up a time for a free, no obligation phone call to talk about your restaurant venture and the things that concern you.  We love working with restaurant entrepreneurs and helping them to succeed.

I hope this helps!

David Foster
Foster and Associates Foodservice Consulting
Springfield, MO 65804
(417) 877-0428 office
(417) 849-1903 cell

Running a Restaurant

David Foster

We have been in the restaurant industry for over 40 years and consult with restaurants, casinos and hotels nationwide. We love helping restaurant operators succeed and can answer any questions related to restaurant start-ups, business plans, operations, labor costs, food costs, liquor costs, employee turnover, marketing etc.

I am a seasoned foodservice veteran with nearly 42 years experience in the industry. My extensive background includes overseeing multi-unit, multi-concept restaurant operations ranging from cafeterias to fine dining, and everything in between. I have a strong hands-on operations and marketing background that give me a unique insight into the “Real World” challenges of the restaurant industry. I have extensive concept development, menu and recipe development and kitchen layout and design expertise. I am effective in analyzing operational needs and identifying practical solutions in today’s very dynamic foodservice environment. In the industry, I am respected by my peers and have served on the Board of Directors of the Missouri Restaurant Association and have been a featured speaker on the subject of Home Meal Replacement at various national events. I also served on the Culinary Advisory Board of the Ozark Technical College as well as serving on the Board of Directors of Big Brothers, Big Sisters of the Ozarks.

Member of the National Restaurant Association, Past Board Member of the Missouri Restaurant Association, Past Board Member of Big Brothers, Big Sisters of the Ozarks

The Consultant, Seasoned Views (a trade magazine for the restaurant industry)

Attended Drury College, Springfield, MO, Varsity Management, SRI

I have had restaurant projects featured in The Consultant (a magazine for foodservice consultants with worldwide circulation). I was honored for achieving the highest level of management competence by the Selection Research Institute.

Sugar Creek Casino, Classic Rock Coffee Company, Mark Twain Brewing Company, Springfield Brewing Company, Bruegger's Bagels, M&M Grill, Paco Joe's, Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Buffalo Run Casino, Golden Corral Corporation, Crosswinds Café, Chinese Chef, Mr. Dunderbak's Old World Market & Café, Bullfeather’s Wings and Grille, Mainstreet Market, Bear Rock Café, Cartoon's Oyster Bar & Grill, T's Redneck Roadhouse, Jim's Steakhouse, Neighbor's Mill Bakery & Café, Crazy Vine, San Francisco Oven, Maria's Mexican Restaurant, Andy's Frozen Custard, The Granite Club, Umi Japanese Steak, Seafood and Sushi, Springfield Grocer Company, US Foodservice, Premium Standard Farms, Smithfield, Dakota Organic, Kraft Foods, Allens, Inc.