Running a Restaurant/restaurant leases

Question
What percent of sales against a fixed minimum rent will a chain like Lone Star,  Red Lobster, Chilis,
etc., pay on a long term lease? And would such a lease be enough protection against inflation for
a landlord?

Answer
Each chain and each location is obviously different.  You basically pay for what you get, as an example I am currently involved in a lease in a casino that I am paying 11% of sales and I would never do that in a strip mall.  This particular lease has the CAM (Common Area Maintenance) rolled into the 11% and it is a prime location so I don't mind paying it.

Typically I look for 6-8% of sales as a good range to target for base rent %.  You can certainly tie in an inflation clause but that may bring resistance.

Hope this helps.
Tony

Running a Restaurant

Tony Figurelli