Running a Restaurant/culinary project

Question
Hi David,  I found your name when researching food cost percentages on the Internet.  I am in culinary school and doing a project on creating my own restaurant.  The concept is a fine dining restaurant in the Texas Hill country of Austin Texas featuring Texas seafood, meats, poultry, Rio Grande fruits and vegetables, and Texas wineries.  It would have a rustic but elegant type atmosphere.  My challenge is to figure out food cost percentages and we need to site information from experts in the field.  I would assume my food costs would be higher than normal considering high end food and elegant atmosphere 30-35%.  Does this sound  reasonable to you.  Thanks for any assistance.

Sharon

Answer
HI Sharon,

You are wise to recognize that the food cost will most likely be higher because of the higher end menu offering.  Even casual dining concepts are finding it very tough to get food costs under 33% right now with rising commodity costs.

Given the current escalation in food prices, I would forecast a food cost of about 36%.  BUT, keep in mind, this is only one component.  If your concept will have a bar and can promote liquor and beer (rather than just wine) your beer, wine, liquor cost of sales could be at 25% or better and would help to offset your higher food costs.  I would forecast about an 85/15 food to alcoholic beverages ratio if you promote beverages.  I realize this is all conceptual, but it is the weighted mix between beverages and food that determine your overall cost of goods.

Also, with higher check averages you can typically expect somewhat lower labor costs.  We always counsel clients not to look at just their cost of goods or just their labor costs.  Look at the "big two" expenses together and try to keep the total of those under 60% if at all possible to maximize the profitability of your restaurant.

Sharon, I hope this helps you!

David Foster
dfoster@fosterandassociates.net
(417) 877-0428 office
(417) 849-1903 cell

Running a Restaurant

David Foster