Running a Restaurant/Profit sharing with my Chef

Question
Hi, I currently own 2 Italian restaurants in Massachusetts. In one of my restaurants I had recently hired a new chef, he has been with me for 5 months and has received an offer from another restaurant. He wasn't using this as a bargaining tool but, I have been so pleased with his work I really don't want to lose him. Our sales remain steady over the past 3 years. I want to offer him a sort of profit sharing if he can grow the food end of the business, hoping he will consider staying on. I pay him a salary now and need your advise on what could be a suitable offer for him to stay and grow the food end of the business. Our food sales have averaged 500K a year. We also have a full bar that contributes about 35% in liquor sale a year.

Answer
This is a tough one to answer. I probably wouldn't offer someone a stake in my business after only been there 5 months and wanting to leave. If you do offer him the share, what says he won't leave anyway. He has only been with you for 5 months and is leaving so quickly that chances are, he really doesn't care too much about the business and is only looking out for his own best interest. That is not probably someone you want on your team. If the drive to succeed isn't ambition enough for this person, money probably won't be a fix here. He'll just keep asking for more. If you are maybe under paying him anyways and are doing this as a sort of compensation, that could be a fair deal. I would just be leery of the latter. I would suggest, maybe his salary be based on a bonus system instead of a profit share. Meaning that if he can hit certain goals, food cost, increased revenue, labor cost, etc, he can earn more money. It's a much easier and realistic goals to hit. For food sales of 500K, I would expect his salary range to be around $35,000 per year. Any higher than that and it will be very hard to hit your labor costs unless he is working most of the hours, which again would not be in your interest either. You end up not running the business, just surviving day to day.

Running a Restaurant

Adam Hegsted