Running a Restaurant/Bmi license

Question
I am an owner of a small restaurant in the state of Missouri BMI is telling me that I need to have a license from them in order to let people come in and play music we have what we call jam sessions no one is being paid anyone is welcome to bring instruments or sing there is no cover charge 2 enter and listen or no drink minimum

Answer
Unless the people who are "jamming" are doing so using their own music, written and composed by them, and not commercially licensed (meaning they just wrote it before they went on stage and they are not contracted with any talent or music company). Otherwise, if they perform any commercially copyrighted music, you must have a license to do so. That's the law. That's the business. It's been this way for generations.

Nothing else matters except that you are allowing people to perform copyrighted material in public and making money doing so. Not the size of your business, not that fact that you don't charge a cover, etc...  because you are making money off of food right? And using the music as a draw to get people to come and buy something you sell. And the music is copyrighted. And all music contracts contain a BMI/ASCAP enforcement clause.  

Running a Restaurant

Jeffrey Summers