Running a Restaurant/ticket times

Question
Running ticket time if you are busy ? how long on app,entrees ? 12 tickets in the window

Answer
Hi Rubin,

It would be great to have more info - for instance the type of restaurant (casual dining, family dining, bar & grill, etc.) and the day part (lunch versus dinner?) in order to give you a better answer.  Assuming that the concept you work in is a casual dining concept, appropriate target ticket times are: APPS, 5-7 minutes; ENTREES, 10-12 minutes lunch, 12-15 minutes dinner.  If you are in a fine dining restaurant, of course these times would be different.

Should you be able to meet those times with 12 or more tickets hanging?  It depends upon a lot of variables.  Is every item on the menu able to be prepared within those time frames?  Are you short space in one area - for instance, not enough saute burners so that orders get backed up?  Are you pre-prepping or even "floating" items like burgers during a rush?  There are a lot of variables that determine whether or not you can not only hit those ticket times, but sustain them even when you are busy.  Staying out of the weeds in a rush comes from planning - from the menu to how the stations are set up to how well the kitchen staff is trained.  Also, a good expediter can really impact ticket times.

Rubin, I hope this helps.  If you want a better answer, give me more info and I will respond.

We are a restaurant/hospitality consulting firm based in the Midwest and work with all types of restaurants across the country.  When we are involved in menu and recipe development, we look at all the things I mentioned above.  Often, a restaurant's inability to consistently have good ticket times is not the fault of the kitchen crew, but is the result of a poorly planned menu.  A great menu is one that not only produces excellent food, but is built around what your kitchen equipment and crew can handle.

If you would like to email me directly, feel free.  You can reach me at dfoster@fosterandassociates.net.  I will always make time for a no fee, no pressure, no hassle phone call as well.  Just email me and we could set a time that could work.

Thanks!

David Foster
Foster and Associates
dfoster@fosterandassociates.net
(417) 877-0428 office
(417) 849-1903 cell  

Running a Restaurant

David Foster