Running a Restaurant/Pie sales

Question
QUESTION: I am part owner of a small breakfast/lunch diner. We will be expanding our menu to offer pie slices (pecan and fruit). How much should an average slice cost? We are in eastern NC.  Small college town.

ANSWER: Stephanye, Thanks for asking me this question. In order for me to answer this question appropriately I would need a little more information. Is this homemade pie or store bought? what is the cost of the Pie? How many slice would you get out of the pie? I would also want a little more detail on the type of restaurant you have. Is this a very casual restaurant? I hope this helps and once you answer these questions I would be able to give you a more informed answer...

QUESTION: Pies will be homemade. I have not done a cost out of the pie. That is what I need to know from you. Probably 8 slices out of a 9-inch pie. The restaurant is very casual, kind of like a waffle house. Serves only breakfast and lunch.  Thanks.

Answer
Stephanye,
 Pecan pie is not cheap to make since pecans are expensive. I would make one and add up all of the ingredient cost then divide that by the number of slices you get out of the pie. once you know the per slice cost I would then triple the cost to the selling price. In my restaurant I could get more for it but you need to know our market. It sounds like you are in a lower priced market and the type of restaurant you are running would warrant a 3-$4 per slice selling price which would still make you a nice profit..

Good luck

Let me know if I can help in any other way

Rob

Running a Restaurant

Robert Lagonia