Running a Restaurant/ABC license


Hi Larry,

We are a start-up catering llc. trying to understand how we can obtain an ABC license. Can a catering company using a commercial kitchen also obtain an ABC Beer and Wine license in California? Or only an establish restaurant can obtain an ABC Beer and Wine license?

Thank you!

I am not an expert on California liquor license laws. However, in most jurisdictions you would not qualify for a license because the premises of the alcohol sale is as important as the entity obtaining the license. In other words, they want to inspect the place where the product is sold. Catering companies have a variety of venues.

Hope this helps.  

Running a Restaurant

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Larry Edger


Multi concept restaurant owner. Just finished fourth restaurant. Can answer questions on all aspects of running, owning and starting a restaurant, cafe or hospitality operation. Enjoy helping other restaurant owners. Most "consultants" have no idea what a restaurant operator needs to be successful. Let me know if I can assist you finding answers to your operating and marketing questions. Accomplished chef and menu development a particular talent for upscale casual restaurants.


Owner and operator of several multi-concept restaurants. Successful entrepreneur, started businesses from scratch on many occasions. Know the problems with planning and running a restaurant. Always independent operations and not the product of chain restaurants.

As an author of The Restaurant Ebook, A Guide to Keeping Your Dream Off the Chopping Block, I have helped hundreds of restaurateurs to market and run a better restaurant.For more information visit or

Attended Ohio State University and have gone through many extended classes relating to marketing and management. Written many courses and training manuals.
Currently building fourth restaurant and created a blog to keep track of daily activities. Readers can see the various steps from leasing to opening. Visit

©2017 All rights reserved.