Running a Restaurant/Unique retail Ice Cream concept

Question
Hi David - I have been working on a unique ice cream retail concept that combines a few successful retail ice cream and chocolatier concepts.  The concept would broaden the product offering away from the unique ice cream ice cream to compensate for seasonal ice cream sales drops, but the additional offerings will still be consistent with the concept and branding.

I have a strong background in retail, customer service and in marketing and advertising, but I am weak in food service experience.

Since this basic concept doesn't exist except for a few single one-off locations (which are not exactly the same), I am needing some expert advice on the viability of the concept.

Answer
Erik,

My apologies for taking this long to reply.  I simply missed the All Experts email telling me I had a pending question.  We were working with a client in Las Vegas and I was skimming my email and I assume I just overlooked it.

There are multiple ways that we can help you to assess the viability of the concept, but I would definitely need more information in order to be able to help you.  It is most likely beyond the scope of a free service.  That being said, let me ask you a few questions.  Have you prepared a business plan yet?  If so, I would love to learn more about the concept you are proposing.  If not, that is one of the services that we offer.  We also typically recommend that you have us prepare a set of interlinked "what if?" financials that are geared to give you what we call, "proof of concept."  We isolate and identify all start-up costs, expected occupancy costs, debt service requirements, seating and sales worksheets, labor cost worksheets and finally a very realistic Pro Forma.  If the concept makes sense based upon these projections, then we would go forward with the business plan.  If not, we will tell you why not.

I am always open to talking with entrepreneurs about their new concept ideas.  If you would like to email me directly and arrange a time to talk for a bit with no fees and no pressure, I would be happy to do that.

Thanks!

David Foster
Foster and Associates
dfoster@fosterandassociates.net
(417) 877-0428 office
(417) 849-1903 cell

Running a Restaurant

David Foster