Running a Restaurant/Food Court Leasing

Question
Hello David:  I have a food concept that I am looking to execute in different food courts and airports starting out in the New York region. I have been in talks with several leasing offices but still cannot find a ball park number of how much rent and expenses food courts charge. I have also been looking into opening locations in cities like Manhattan. My question is are rents as high as a city like Manhattan for food courts or much less than that? For example- a 1000 sq ft restaurant with a 1000 sq ft basement can run anywhere from 6k to 7k a month in Manhattan. Are food courts this high? Thanks.

Nik

Answer
Hi Nik,

We have had experience with a lot of food courts although none were in NYC.  As an independent operator, you should expect to pay between $8000 and $10,000 per month in rent and cam for a food court space.  I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but it is most likely what you will encounter in a "Class A" mall.  We have connections with Simon and with General Growth Properties (two of the largest mall operators in the USA) and have negotiated leases for our food court clients in the past.

Something you should consider though is that with a good concept, your annual sales can exceed $1000 per square foot.  We developed a concept many years ago in Raleigh, NC that was able to reach nearly $1400 per square foot in sales.  So there is a trade-off.  High rent, but potentially high sales volumes and very little advertising dollars that you will need to spend if you are in a prominent food court position in a strong shopping center.

If you would like to bounce your concept off of us, feel free to email me and arrange a time to talk.  No fee, no pressure, no obligation.  We can be a good sounding board for you and possibly be a resource to help you develop and market your concept.

My email address is: dfoster@fosterandassociates.net.  I look forward to visiting with you.

David Foster
Foster and Associates
dfoster@fosterandassociates.net
(417) 877-0428 (office)
(417) 849-1903 (cell)

Running a Restaurant

David Foster