Running a Restaurant/food service in commercial office building

Question
I manage a 225,000sf office building in Ct. we currently have a small food vendor that sells coffee bagels, soups snacks etc. Other than soup and coffee there is no onsite prep. Like everywhere our occupancy is down significantly. I would estimate our building population is around 600-700 capacity is 1000-1100. My current operator is asking me to subsidize their operation until we start to fill up again. I am not sure how to calculate whether or not a subsidy is warranted or at what point it should stop. Are there any type of ratios or formulas that I can use to determine this?

Thank you

Answer
There are no formal formulas or ratios for determining whether or not you should offer a subsidy to the only food vendor for your office building. The question is how much value they provide to both existing and future tenants and what will be the thinking of both if you allow them to go under. Will it signal that the building is in trouble financially and therefore they should look elsewhere when renewal time comes up? If other locations with comparable size and amenities have similar foodservice operations that service the tenants and you do not, what picture does that create for prospective tenants trying to weigh the value of multiple locations?

Most of the time, when we negotiate leases for foodservice in mall locations where traffic is critical, we insert a "going dark" provision that offsets the rent should enough tenants leave to impact that traffic significantly. I doubt your small vendor has that provision in their office lease (but they should) and you should consider what their loss means to your business.

If I owned the building I would discount their total rent contribution comparable to the loss in traffic/tenants with the stipulation of course, that it reverts as you get back to appropriate levels.  

Running a Restaurant

Jeffrey Summers