Running a Restaurant/Wait Times

Question
Hi David, I manage a small family owned restaurant on the river in Florida. We have a very small kitchen but a very large area of seating. At times I go on a wait list even though only 30% of the restaurant is full. Customers do not understand this, all they see is open tables. My kitchen can accommodate 12-15 min ticket times only if given 1 ticket every 4-6 min. I tried seating guests  and allowing drinks only and 5-10 min wait time B4 ordering, it did not work well. The next day I tried the wait and got bad reviews bc of open seating. Any suggestions

Answer
Hi Laura,

It is good that you have the problem of lots of guests, but certainly challenging if your kitchen is too small.

Here are a few ideas (and that assumes that adding kitchen space is NOT an option):

Revamp your menu with an eye for items that can be pre-prepped and simply "finished" on the line.  Moving from cooking very many raw products to assembling items can reduce ticket times.

Consider more "steamtable" based items.  Since I do not know anything about the restaurant concept, style etc., I can't really suggest specific items at this point.

If your restaurant serves burgers, go with smaller burgers you flatten on the grill and serve "doubles" as your standard burger.  Again, not knowing your concept I am not sure if this is applicable.

Promote specials during peak times that are based around fast-to-execute items that can be prepared in advanced and finished on the line.

Look at your kitchen equipment.  Is it operating at its peak? Do you regularly calibrate grills, ovens etc?  Have you considered replacing existing pieces with high performance pieces such as TurboChef accelerated ovens, etc.?

Your customers are right to be upset if there are empty tables and your are not seating them.  But I understand that seating them and having a long ticket time is going to frustrate them as well.  No matter what you tell them, they are simply NOT going to understand.  Your survival depends upon curtailing the menu to eliminate long cook time items and simplifying the remaining items, updating your kitchen and/or pre-prepping and finishing.  Most likely, you will need to employ all of these tactics.  

Another idea would be to offer value-priced "Early Bird" specials during off hours - such as from 4:00 - 6:00, etc. to spread the crowd out a bit so you are not slammed so hard during peak times.

We work with restaurant operators like yourself from coast-to-coast. You (and the owners) will find our fees to be reasonable and our help invaluable.  If you would like to email me directly and schedule a no fee, no pressure conversation about your particular situation, I will be happy to do so!

Best of Luck!

David Foster
Foster and Associates
dfoster@fosterandassociates.net
417 877-0428 office
417 849-1903 cell

Running a Restaurant

David Foster