Running a Restaurant/Poaching

Has poaching replaced sautéing?

I saw "Burnt" recently, a movie where Bradley Cooper plays a skilled chef hoping to receive a third Michelin star. The chef at one of the restaurants he competes with insists on poaching food rather than sautéing it. Also one of the movie's characters says many restaurants are now abandoning frying pans for poaching machines because poaching seals in flavor.

Is there any truth to this?

Hello Luis,

I am not the right person to ask. Perhaps, it would be best if you found a working chef and ask what they are currently using. In cases like this I have found that "tradionalists" tend to stay with how they were taught and "nouveau adherents" tend to try all matter of next. It always comes down to the best way to serve the best taste, time after time.

Best of luck,

Running a Restaurant

Chase LeBlanc

I am the author of the new book, HIGH IMPACT HOSPITALITY: Upgrade Your Purpose, Performance and Profits! I am also the founder and CEO of Leadagers LLC (leaders who manage, managers who lead, "leed/i/jers") a hospitality industry consultancy. Our primary focus is in upgrading the purpose, performance and profits of restaurants, bars, food & beverage outlets and/or nightclubs. We have expertise in operations, start-ups, training, in-house leadership development and positive customer service experiences. 720.269.9537

My 30+ year hospitality career started as owner/operator of a nightclub development and management company. After successfully selling that business, I led within a variety of national and global operations as General Manager and multi-unit Regional Manager and I have also served corporations as Vice President and President. My extremely broad range of experiences includes leading training stores, entertainment complexes, fine dining establishments, high-volume theme restaurants, quick-service restaurants, dance/night clubs, comedy clubs, college taverns, dueling piano bars, pizzerias, high-volume sport’s bars, live music showrooms, retail stores and gift shops, fast-food concessions, catering/banquet facilities and high-volume arcades.

"Staffing Doctor" columnist for Hotel F&B Magazine Top 10 - Core Hospitality - Quick Serve Leader - Wise Words - Inside F&B And have been a featured blogger for In addition to my new book High Impact Hospitality, I have been a contributing writer for and/or my properties have been featured in Cheers, F&B, Food Service News, Hot Spots America, Military Club & Hospitality, Nation’s Restaurant News, Night Club & Bar and Top Shelf.

Attended the University of Colorado for three years and left to open my first nightclub at the age of 21.