Running a Restaurant/Labor questions..

Hello, I am from Mexico and my family recently acquired a restaurant in Miami. The personnel was transferred from us, but we are not very sure about their rights and all that stuff. For example, we would like to know what can we do when we see an employee eating the food that we sell? can we fire someone that don't like their work? what is the best way to do this. Is there a resource on the web that can explain this kind of stuff

Hi Iris,

I apologize for being slow to reply. I must have missed the original email.

One of the first things you will want to do is familiarize yourself with Florida's labor laws. While there are Federal laws, each state has laws that may be stricter.

As to employees eating, you absolutely have the right to set policies. You will want to create an Employee Handbook that spells out your policies and procedures, employee benefits, payroll and vacation policies, rules regarding meal and breaks and much, much more. By having a written policy and informing your employees, you have a solid basis for enforcing those policies.

If you are not comfortable creating this yourself, we would be happy to help. Our fees are very reasonable. Feel free to email if you would like to visit (no fee, no pressure, no obligation).  We will set a time to talk!

I hope this helps you, Iris!

David Foster
(417) 877-0428 office
(417) 849-2903 cell

Running a Restaurant

David Foster

We have been in the restaurant industry for over 40 years and consult with restaurants, casinos and hotels nationwide. We love helping restaurant operators succeed and can answer any questions related to restaurant start-ups, business plans, operations, labor costs, food costs, liquor costs, employee turnover, marketing etc.

I am a seasoned foodservice veteran with nearly 42 years experience in the industry. My extensive background includes overseeing multi-unit, multi-concept restaurant operations ranging from cafeterias to fine dining, and everything in between. I have a strong hands-on operations and marketing background that give me a unique insight into the “Real World” challenges of the restaurant industry. I have extensive concept development, menu and recipe development and kitchen layout and design expertise. I am effective in analyzing operational needs and identifying practical solutions in today’s very dynamic foodservice environment. In the industry, I am respected by my peers and have served on the Board of Directors of the Missouri Restaurant Association and have been a featured speaker on the subject of Home Meal Replacement at various national events. I also served on the Culinary Advisory Board of the Ozark Technical College as well as serving on the Board of Directors of Big Brothers, Big Sisters of the Ozarks.

Member of the National Restaurant Association, Past Board Member of the Missouri Restaurant Association, Past Board Member of Big Brothers, Big Sisters of the Ozarks

The Consultant, Seasoned Views (a trade magazine for the restaurant industry)

Attended Drury College, Springfield, MO, Varsity Management, SRI

I have had restaurant projects featured in The Consultant (a magazine for foodservice consultants with worldwide circulation). I was honored for achieving the highest level of management competence by the Selection Research Institute.

Sugar Creek Casino, Classic Rock Coffee Company, Mark Twain Brewing Company, Springfield Brewing Company, Bruegger's Bagels, M&M Grill, Paco Joe's, Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Buffalo Run Casino, Golden Corral Corporation, Crosswinds Café, Chinese Chef, Mr. Dunderbak's Old World Market & Café, Bullfeather’s Wings and Grille, Mainstreet Market, Bear Rock Café, Cartoon's Oyster Bar & Grill, T's Redneck Roadhouse, Jim's Steakhouse, Neighbor's Mill Bakery & Café, Crazy Vine, San Francisco Oven, Maria's Mexican Restaurant, Andy's Frozen Custard, The Granite Club, Umi Japanese Steak, Seafood and Sushi, Springfield Grocer Company, US Foodservice, Premium Standard Farms, Smithfield, Dakota Organic, Kraft Foods, Allens, Inc.