Running a Restaurant/Best food processor for the job

I would like to benefit from your long experience in this business.
I am looking for a food processor that could do one simple task:
MIX dry ingredients(POWDER)

I do not want to grind or reduce or anything , i just want to be able to mix very well my dry powder ingredients. Just that!!!

The ingredients are different types of powders and spices, i just want to mix them very well without reducing them in smaller shape or anything. I would like for them to keep their original shape. I just want to mix them very well. Just that!!!

What would you suggest?
thank you

ANSWER: Hi Claude,

I want to be able to help you, but there are a few more pieces of information that I will need in order to do so:

1) What kind of volume of product are you talking about?  
2) Is this a mix that you will bag and sell retail, use in a restaurant or other application?
3) Geographically, where are you located?  For instance, if you are on the east coast, it would make no sense for me to connect you with a west coast company that could do that for you.

There are a lot of "co-packers" in the food industry with the capability of doing a good job mixing dry ingredients, but most are looking for a very high volume of product to make it worth their time to do this.

If you are creating a spice blend, tortilla recipe, etc., you may simply need to purchase a commercial Hobart mixer large enough to handle the tasks.  The more I understand about your needs, the better I can help you as a food consultant.

David Foster

QUESTION: It is for à small business, i will mix m'y dry ingrédients and put them in 16 oz plastic bags. But i do not need co Packers, i need à machine to do the mixing.
Thank you

Hi Claude,

When you had said "food processor" I took that to mean a company that processes food. Thanks for the clarification.

The best piece of equipment for you will be a rotary mixer, not a food processor. The size you need will dependent upon the amount of dry ingredients you want to mix at one time. They are available from the small, Kitchen Aid Commercial units that hold 8 quarts to Hobart and Globe 20 quart, 30 quart, 40 quart and 60 quart.  Of course even used, these large mixers are expensive.  If you can make the 8 quart commercial Kitchen Aid unit work, that will be your lowest price unit.  Just make sure you get the proper attachments including a wire whip.

I hope this helps you. If you need more info, feel free to email me directly at

Best of luck!

David Foster
Foster and Associates
(417) 877-0428 office
(417) 849-1903 cell
(417) 883-8989 fax

Running a Restaurant

David Foster

We have been in the restaurant industry for over 40 years and consult with restaurants, casinos and hotels nationwide. We love helping restaurant operators succeed and can answer any questions related to restaurant start-ups, business plans, operations, labor costs, food costs, liquor costs, employee turnover, marketing etc.

I am a seasoned foodservice veteran with nearly 42 years experience in the industry. My extensive background includes overseeing multi-unit, multi-concept restaurant operations ranging from cafeterias to fine dining, and everything in between. I have a strong hands-on operations and marketing background that give me a unique insight into the “Real World” challenges of the restaurant industry. I have extensive concept development, menu and recipe development and kitchen layout and design expertise. I am effective in analyzing operational needs and identifying practical solutions in today’s very dynamic foodservice environment. In the industry, I am respected by my peers and have served on the Board of Directors of the Missouri Restaurant Association and have been a featured speaker on the subject of Home Meal Replacement at various national events. I also served on the Culinary Advisory Board of the Ozark Technical College as well as serving on the Board of Directors of Big Brothers, Big Sisters of the Ozarks.

Member of the National Restaurant Association, Past Board Member of the Missouri Restaurant Association, Past Board Member of Big Brothers, Big Sisters of the Ozarks

The Consultant, Seasoned Views (a trade magazine for the restaurant industry)

Attended Drury College, Springfield, MO, Varsity Management, SRI

I have had restaurant projects featured in The Consultant (a magazine for foodservice consultants with worldwide circulation). I was honored for achieving the highest level of management competence by the Selection Research Institute.

Sugar Creek Casino, Classic Rock Coffee Company, Mark Twain Brewing Company, Springfield Brewing Company, Bruegger's Bagels, M&M Grill, Paco Joe's, Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Buffalo Run Casino, Golden Corral Corporation, Crosswinds Café, Chinese Chef, Mr. Dunderbak's Old World Market & Café, Bullfeather’s Wings and Grille, Mainstreet Market, Bear Rock Café, Cartoon's Oyster Bar & Grill, T's Redneck Roadhouse, Jim's Steakhouse, Neighbor's Mill Bakery & Café, Crazy Vine, San Francisco Oven, Maria's Mexican Restaurant, Andy's Frozen Custard, The Granite Club, Umi Japanese Steak, Seafood and Sushi, Springfield Grocer Company, US Foodservice, Premium Standard Farms, Smithfield, Dakota Organic, Kraft Foods, Allens, Inc.