Running a Restaurant/Seats Reservation on Restaurants website.

Dear Brian

Do you feel it is useful for customers to have Seats reservation facility on Restaurant website?.

I'm not a big fan of taking reservations in general. You have to hold tables for people who may not show up and customers who are sitting in your restaurant possibly can't get sat and they might get frustrated if they see you have open tables.

The only time we took reservations were for big groups, because you do like to have advanced warning for those.

So I'd start off without taking reservations for small groups (like 2 tops and 4 tops) and see if that works for your restaurant.

If it turns out that people won't come in without having a reservation, then you could use a reservation website, but I'd take someone's credit card information to book a table and warn them that you'll charge them for no shows.  

Running a Restaurant

Brian Ash

I can answer any type of question related to the restaurant industry. I started and owned my own restaurant for 15 years. I now own a web based business selling a piece of kitchen equipment (The Drain Strainer) that I invented in my restaurant as well as own my own marketing agency (Calibrate Marketing). If you have questions about running or marketing your restaurant, then feel free to ask me anything.

I started and have owned three restaurants for over 15 years. We started our restaurants from scratch and learned it all along the way. My duties included financials, marketing, hiring (everything except cooking). Before owning my restaurants, I was an engineer. My main job title is "problem solver". If you've got a problem and you're stumped on how to proceed, then even if I don't know the right answer, I can at least point you in the right direction.

Rotary Club of Springfield MO, American Cancer Society Action Network, Springfield MO Chamber of Commerce

Bachelors degree in Computer Science and Master's Degree in Engineering Managment from the University of Missouri - Science and Technology.

Awarded 2008 Restaurateur of The Year by the MO Restaurant Association.