Running a Restaurant/Food Kiosk in Food Court

Question
Hello David,

I'm looking for a food court space either in mall or university for food kiosk. Ideally, location around Salt Lake City and nearby cities would be the first priority. Can you recommend me on how to acquire the space? Thanks.

Best regards,
Steve

Answer
Hi Steve,

Opening a food court concept that is successful takes every bit as much planning and thought as a freestanding or shopping center restaurant.  If you want to succeed, you must address every one of these issues:

1) You must have a unique concept.

2) The location IN the food court is almost as important as which mall you are in.

3) Your menu must be "female friendly;" more shoppers and mall employees are female than male so your concept and menu have to appeal to their appetites.

4) You must have a professional business plan if you are to persuade mall management to consider you for their food court.

5) You must have a realistic budget for what it will cost you to build a successful food court concept - and it will cost more than you think it will.

6) Your menu must be unique, simple and stay true to your concept.

7) Your food court space must have a high level of visual appeal.

8) Your food must taste really, really good; fresh and "better for you" foods are very popular, especially with younger shoppers.

9) Handheld, portable and easy to eat foods rule.

10) Your food and service must be consistently good.

11) You must sample - everyday.  If you want guests to buy it, give them a taste.

12) You must give great value to your guests. Value means the right quality and portion for the price.

13) Friendly staff. You must make guests feel welcome and appreciated.

14) Efficiency is paramount. Guests want their food NOW!

Steve, we can help you bring your concept to life, successfully.  We have a great deal of experience with food court and fast casual concepts. Contact us via email for a no fee, no obligation consultation.  We will be happy to set up a no fee, no pressure phone call to talk about your food court concept and how to get into the malls that you want to get into!

David Foster

Foster and Associates
dfoster@fosterandassociates.net
(417) 877-0428 office
(417) 883-8989 fax
(417) 849-1903 mobile

Running a Restaurant

David Foster