Running a Restaurant/Sensor Door Systems for Restaurant.

Dear Brian

Do you recommend Sensor Door Systems
for Restaurant?.

I'm fine with installing a system so you'll get a notification whenever someone comes in the door, but I strongly caution you not to rely solely on that to know when people come in your restaurant.

The best solution is to make sure your servers are always out front with the customers and will see people come in. I've seen too many restaurant designs where the servers hang out in the kitchen and don't see people coming in the door and don't keep an eye on their customers.

I would make everything that the servers need (their Point of Sale system, their soft drink machine for refills, their silverware, etc,) all be in the front of the restaurant so they'll always be out in the dining room instead of being back in the kitchen talking to the cooks and not paying attention to the door, if their tables need something, etc.

A bell on the door can't fix that problem.

Running a Restaurant

Brian Ash

I can answer any type of question related to the restaurant industry. I started and owned my own restaurant for 15 years. I now own a web based business selling a piece of kitchen equipment (The Drain Strainer) that I invented in my restaurant as well as own my own marketing agency (Calibrate Marketing). If you have questions about running or marketing your restaurant, then feel free to ask me anything.

I started and have owned three restaurants for over 15 years. We started our restaurants from scratch and learned it all along the way. My duties included financials, marketing, hiring (everything except cooking). Before owning my restaurants, I was an engineer. My main job title is "problem solver". If you've got a problem and you're stumped on how to proceed, then even if I don't know the right answer, I can at least point you in the right direction.

Rotary Club of Springfield MO, American Cancer Society Action Network, Springfield MO Chamber of Commerce

Bachelors degree in Computer Science and Master's Degree in Engineering Managment from the University of Missouri - Science and Technology.

Awarded 2008 Restaurateur of The Year by the MO Restaurant Association.