Running a Restaurant/Opening restaurant in a food court.

Question
Dear David,

I'm Alex, 32 years old french guy (trying to type good english), I'm running a fast food in France since 5 years. I started with no cash, so I'm stuck in a spot witout any parking near, without any visibility. My concept is unique and got good success, but cause of a very very bad spot, customer got trouble to come to me.

I want to move, and i thought about coming in US or Canada. I have two big questions. First, can you help me to find someone able to help me (administrative, find provider, find good place, ...) along this adventure? Second, I havent so many cash, but I'm so confident in the concept, I just have to make taste people to make them fan! Can you help me to find some kind of business angel/partner?

Thank you for your time.
Best regards, Alex.

Answer
Hi Alex,

I will do my best to answer your questions.

First, congratulations on accomplishing what you have despite having a bad location. You are to be commended for your efforts.

Your first step, if you are going to open a restaurant in Canada or the US will be to make sure you have the correct type of Visa (at least for the US - I am not familiar with Canadian laws).  There are attorneys that specialize in immigration law and can tell you exactly what you need to do.

Even before you find a location, you will need to develop a business plan and come up with a way of obtaining financing.  And Alex, I have to tell you that this will not be an easy task.  For every one investor that contacts me about investing in a restaurant concept I have 100 people with restaurant ideas.  It is virtually impossible to get funded unless you have some money of your own to get started. There are a lot of "crowdfunding" sources you can explore online, and if you are fortunate enough to raise some funds that way, it could be a down payment on a business loan. Dependent upon your credit, you may qualify for a business loan but few if any lenders will fund more than 80% of what you need, meaning the remaining 20% needs to come from you.

I don't want to discourage you, but I do want you to be aware of the reality of what it will take to open and operate a successful restaurant here (or virtually anywhere).

Feel free to email me with any additional questions.  I will do my best to help.

David Foster
Foster and Associates
dfoster@fosterandassociates.net
(417) 877-0428 office
(417) 883-8989 fax
(417) 849-1903  

Running a Restaurant

David Foster