Running a Restaurant/Questions Answered by Expert Larry Edger

SubjectDate Asked
Food Kiosk in Food Court4/21/2016
  Q: I'm looking for a food court space either in mall or university for food kiosk. Ideally, location ...
  A: I am not familiar with the Salt Lake City area, but the most productive method is to find the names ...
Business cards Dropbox for customers.4/14/2016
  Q: Do you feel it could be useful to have a Central business cards dropbox or on each dining table for ...
  A: It could be useful. It depends on how you plan to use the information. To quickly capture data for ...
Aquarium fish tanks in Restaurants.4/11/2016
  Q: Do you recommend to keep few aquarium fish tanks in Restaurants which may add Business value?. ...
  A: Fish tanks can be an attractive addition to the restaurant environment. It depends on the location, ...
Seats Reservation on Restaurants website.3/31/2016
  Q: Do you feel it is useful for customers to have Seats Reservation feature on Restaurant website?. ...
  A: Having the ability to make reservations on a website is becoming more customary. However, there are ...
P&L, Capital Budget, Opening3/20/2014
  Q: I am putting together my own business plan. I have reached the portion where in need to do the ...
  A: Congratulations for working on a business plan for opening a restaurant. Many people try to open and ...
food court profit sharing11/11/2013
  Q: Good day, Me and my friend are planning to open up a food court center. We are planning to charge ...
  A: The rental should be based on gross sales dollars. Charging on quantity doesn't sound equitable ...
Getting a higher customer base10/28/2013
  Q: We have a small casual restaurant with about 80 seats including a patio area and full bar and been ...
  A: Your description of your business doesn't state what meal segment you service - I will guess it is ...
8cop liquor license8/12/2013
  Q: Larry--how does an 8COP license in Dixie County,FL compare to the others? notion as to value? ...
  A: My understanding is that a plain 8 COP liquor license is a standard license quota license for on ...
increasing customer base8/5/2013
  Q: About a year ago I opened a restaurant in a small community of about fifteen thousand. However, ...
  A: It sounds as if you have done quite well in a short period of time. My thoughts on your current ...
Equipment Type/Cost7/22/2013
  Q: I am currently in the process of conducting the due diligence phase of opening a restaurant in the ...
  A: Good luck on your new venture. Over the years my philosophy on equipment has changed dramatically. ...
Insurance costs for MA cafe3/28/2013
  Q: I need to estimate Insurance costs for the financial plan of a small cafe (600-800 sq. feet), two ...
  A: Helen; There are a number of variables that can affect the cost for insurance. However, for ...
Figuring out financial projections3/7/2013
  Q: First off, numbers are not my friends :/ A little about me... my restaurant would be fine dining, ...
  A: Autumn; You wore me out just reading all your questions and confusion. Let's bring you back to ...
ABC license2/12/2013
  Q: We are a start-up catering llc. trying to understand how we can obtain an ABC license. Can a ...
  A: I am not an expert on California liquor license laws. However, in most jurisdictions you would not ...
EMPLOYEE MEALS1/9/2013
  Q: I manage a sit down family owned Italian restaurant in northern NY. we primarily sell pizza, ...
  A: Zachary; You have a very generous meal policy that I could envision being abused very easily. My ...
Restaurant Partnership10/22/2012
  Q: I was involved in opening my first restaurant with 2 other partners. Unfortunately, days before we ...
  A: Nik; Stop.... You are about to enter into a very one sided agreement. If you run the restaurant and ...
discounts as related to taxes9/22/2012
  Q: Sir, I recently read the following response to a question regarding acoounting discounts to ...
  A: Sutton; I believe the writer was referring to the basic principal of taxation - you pay on profits. ...
landlord equipment lease vs. investor option5/8/2012
  Q: I have the opportunity to move into a restaurant that had been open for 10 years, but closed 5 ...
  A: Matt; Slow down - you are about to jump into a transaction that may effect the rest of your life. ...
Restaurant: Option to Buy4/29/2012
  Q: A family member and I are planning to take over a restaurant (Pizza/Italian) with the option to buy. ...
  A: Jerry; Dreams are great, but slow down and make sure the dream isn't the beginning of a nightmare. ...
Are we being conservative with how many people we think will come?3/26/2012
  Q: We figured in a 60/40 split for kitchen area and dining area. With the 60 percent going to dining ...
  A: Eric; Sorry for the delay in answering your question, but I wanted to check some of your ...
Should I hire delivery driver as contractor or as an employee?2/4/2012
  Q: I am considering adding delivery services to my restaurant. Should I hire the delivery as ...
  A: Sam; Most delivery services are provided by a contractor just to avoid many of the issues raised ...
Liquor Licensing for a small cafe1/28/2012
  Q: I am in the planning stages of opening a cafe/lounge type restaurant. I am in Florida, and will ...
  A: Kayla; Sorry for the delay in answering this question. Traveling! Certainly, the easiest way is to ...
Fast casual startup not enjoying the onset of winter11/29/2011
  Q: I'll make this as short and sweet as I can. I opened an upscale hot dog stand that sells locally ...
  A: John; Let's be miserable together! Your e-mail prompted me to check sales yesterday for my ...
Remotely Controlling an Overseas Business11/12/2011
  Q: Good day, I just got an opportunity of taking over a small restaurant business as part of a debt ...
  A: Yazan; My overall response to you is don't do it! While the attractive package of a successful ...
New Analyst looking to be Restauranteur10/26/2011
  Q: I am in a bit of a pickle here Larry and could use some advice. Within the past year and a half, I ...
  A: Matt; Sorry to take so long to answer your questions. Had a router melt down that was hard to track ...
Cost %10/26/2011
  Q: I have a question with regards to the food side cost of running a restaurant. I know that the break ...
  A: Jon; Think about what you are asking me to do. I have to guess at the type of restaurant, ...
Restaurant Idea10/18/2011
  Q: Good Morning Larry: I am very interested in opening a casual dining restaurant that would also ...
  A: I had to think about your answer overnight. You are asking my opinion about a relatively unique ...
Florida Restaurant Lienses10/17/2011
  Q: In Brevard County, is there supposed to be someone on staff who is an alcohol beverage manager?
  A: Doug; I know of no state regulation that would require a separate person to be a "alcohol beverage ...
Restaurant Equity among partners9/8/2011
  Q: Starting a Restaurant with family member. Start-up is 1.3 million. 15% of the 1.3 mil is being ...
  A: Scott; I assume the "partners" each own an equal share of the business. The person who puts up the ...
euro snackbar question9/8/2011
  Q: I am contemplating opening a Dutch style snackbar with European style fast food. I plan to operate ...
  A: Fred; I always applaud anyone who is following their passion for becoming an entrepreneur - just ...
Partnership with a restaurant8/19/2011
  Q: I am planning to start a catering business which will be driven by customised demands. I do not own ...
  A: Jade; A couple of details were notable in your question that may change the direction you move to ...
Accounting for Employee Meal Discounts7/30/2011
  Q: In my restaurant, I have some managers who are paid some bonus on labor and food cost as percentages ...
  A: Jim The proper way to handle discounts of any type is to enter them at their full retail value. ...
Partnership Agreement7/14/2011
  Q: I'm looking at a potential partnership opportunity to open the first of several planned restaurants ...
  A: Brian; Slow down and think this out. You are already splitting profits on multiple units before you ...
Restaurant Troubles6/22/2011
  Q: Our situation is a bit different because we are in West Africa, business here is a little bit ...
  A: Corrine; I can understand how frustrations are built into the family run business. My oldest son ...
Restaurant (idea)6/19/2011
  Q: Mr. Edger I am an immigrant(Haiti) in Montreal. My community is in the restaurant business, their ...
  A: Claude; Here are a few ideas that may help. As a restaurant owner I constantly find these as ...
compensation6/15/2011
  Q: I have a question about how to compensate a friend who will be helping me with menu development at ...
  A: Neil; I can understand your quandary. Your friend's help, if experienced, could contribute to the ...
food cost6/10/2011
  Q: any idea what the national or regional food cost average is for a restaurant with 2 banquet halls. ...
  A: Tom; It would be impossible to compare your operation to any existing statistics. One of the ...
floor area required4/28/2011
  Q: I am planning to open a 60seater fine dinning restaurant with a small bar area that will seat about ...
  A: Marcel; Your question is common, but difficult to answer. Each facility is different. Each set of ...
mccallen 12 year old scotch4/22/2011
  Q: We charge 12.50 for a shot of 12yr old mccallan our competitor charges 8.00. What should a bar ...
  A: Jamie; I checked our current price at one of my restaurants. We charge $12. Your competitor is ...
Start Up Deals4/19/2011
  Q: I have a gentleman that is interested in providing seed money for my restaurant start up. He knows ...
  A: Cody; Investors expect one thing - a viable return on their money. For instance, a common deal ...
Casual Breakfast in a College Town4/5/2011
  Q: I'd like to open a breakfast restaurant in a college town. I graduated here, and see it as a ...
  A: Andrew; Before answering your your basic questions, let me say that the breakfast business is a ...
opening a small restaurant3/2/2011
  Q: I am considering a switch back into the restaurant business after 17 years of being in the Insurance ...
  A: Dee; I have written books that are shorter than my answer could be on your questions! First, I ...
marketing2/23/2011
  Q: I own a restaurant and we have had many inquiries about selling our house made bbq sauce. It will ...
  A: Scott; Sounds like you have all the bases covered from a regulatory perspective. There are some ...
2cop2/8/2011
  Q: I wanted to know, if we have a 2cop beer and wine license can we serve mixed drinks with less than ...
  A: Maricela; You don't say what state you are in. Each has their own set of regulations for the ...
salad1/27/2011
  Q: I recently started a pizzeria and i will soon add salads to my menu. So my question is this: What ...
  A: Tarek; We have done salad prep both of the ways you suggest depending on the quantity and freshness ...
cash calls1/10/2011
  Q: There are 3 partners in my company. They own 30/30/40. The man with the 40% refuses to contribute ...
  A: Rick; You asking me a question that I am afraid I hear all the time about partnerships. My quick ...
MEP costs12/20/2010
  Q: I am building a 1600 sq ft. Bar and grill in the DC area. Our proposed budget for the project is ...
  A: Colin; I am assuming you are leasing the space and doing renovations. On the surface it appears to ...
Restaurant Sales Tax12/16/2010
  Q: We are considering opening up a small chain restaurant in Birmingham, AL. Based on the research ...
  A: Shannon; I am going to assume you mean sales taxes. There may be several different tax rules that ...
leasing a liquor license12/5/2010
  Q: Have friends who are leasing business: Name, building and liquor license. How do they file sales ...
  A: Mary; I am going to assume the "leasing" agreement is in writing as a functionally legally binding ...
Starting up a restaurant11/29/2010
  Q: I am currently trying to setup a vegetarian restaurant in london Uk. I have found out that there is ...
  A: Jay; I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit. Your task is daunting, but not impossible. The first ...
offering to take over a bar and grill...11/18/2010
  Q: Okay so I have been serving and bartending for over 15 yrs and now I feel as if an opportunity is ...
  A: Bryan; Most of the time I give long detailed answers for a question such as yours. However, in this ...
Food & Labor cost11/15/2010
  Q: Fine dining restaurant, 44 seats, small bar and small private dining room for up to 12 people. ...
  A: Michael; I wish there was a magic number I could give you. Reality is that there are so many ...
what is good service11/3/2010
  Q: What are the key elements that make up a good service in a fine dining restaurant? how would an ...
  A: Yiwen; I see you are still working on your restaurant plan. The term "good service" is subjective, ...
Kitchen labor to food sales11/2/2010
  Q: My restaurant has a heavy bar component and we run around 60% bar and 40% food. I am trying to ...
  A: Bob; Labor costs can vary according to food type, restaurant concept and other factors. However, ...
Long and detailed questions on opening a restaurant10/18/2010
  Q: I understand you are a busy person so feel free to take your time or just tell me that you donít ...
  A: Yiwen; If your goal was to set a record for the longest question, I think you met your objective. ...
LABOR COSTS10/13/2010
  Q: i am being hit with the owners labor percentages 29.0 which includes gm ( myself) assistant manager. ...
  A: Richard; On the surface your labor costs do not seem to be unusually high. In general, restaurants ...
restaurant10/11/2010
  Q: looking to open a restaurant soon. Curious how much on average is most domestic beer in 12 oz ...
  A: Brad; The cost of alcohol varies greatly around the country. The issue is taxes that are imposed by ...
taking my small country restaraunt to the nest level10/2/2010
  Q: restaurant location in a small town of population of 800 we get surrounding small towners. We are ...
  A: Based on my understanding of what you are asking above, you want to know if it is economically ...
Staffing a new restaurant9/8/2010
  Q: Mr. Edger, I am a newly hired General Manager for a Johnny Rockets Franchise in the Los Angeles ...
  A: Steve; Good luck on your new position. I can only give you general parameters for figuring the ...
Partnership Opportunity-Need Timely Help!8/30/2010
  Q: A little background. My husband and I have spent most of our lives in the fine dining industry in ...
  A: Ann; Glad to hear you and your husband have carved out a niche that is working for you in these ...
Help!8/23/2010
  Q: Sorry to trouble you. I am currently living in Beijing, China and just recently opened a small ...
  A: Arthur; Great to hear you are doing well in the new restaurant. I see this type of question ...
Expanding our restaurant business8/17/2010
  Q: We are a successful restaurant operating in Goa, India. We started this restaurant with very small ...
  A: Rovino; Great job on your four years of growth. The majority of new restaurants never make it this ...
Ideal Food Cost8/15/2010
  Q: I am in the process of opening a homestyle restaurant. I am building the menu from scratch. I want ...
  A: Cheryl; If you can maintain a 27% food cost as an independent restaurant, you will be starting out ...
Fine dining restaurant.7/14/2010
  Q: I am designing a 80 seats upscale fine dining restaurant for my food and beverage management ...
  A: Jieyen; There is no rule of thumb for a server/customer ratio. The variables are too great. Type of ...
Restaurant Labor Percentages7/14/2010
  Q: Is it still true that BOH labor should be less than 15% of food sales? Also - FOH & BOH labor ...
  A: Connie; If you want to use these percentages as a beginning point for talking about general ...
Market comparison7/13/2010
  Q: I've enjoyed reading your responses to the various questions that have been asked, and hope that my ...
  A: Amy; Good luck with your study. You doing what most people don't do - planning properly. Also, ...
Location and Menu5/24/2010
  Q: I have heard that location is everything. My concept is vegetarian fast casual style food. What ...
  A: Clif; I may be over analyzing the questions you sent, but it sounds to me you already know what my ...
staff meals4/11/2010
  Q: We have owned a small restaurant for 2 years now, first time in hospitality. We are not chefs. We ...
  A: Jan; Sorry for the delay in answering this question, however, I wanted to carefully think about the ...
Sales per hour as a percentage of sales3/22/2010
  Q: I am opening a Sandwich Shop in a downtown core, running from 7am to 7pm. do you have any ...
  A: Alan; You are asking a question that has a lot of variables. For instance, are you focusing on ...
Supplies2/14/2010
  Q: I'm trying to find out what is the best way to break out supplies. Are all juices, sodas, fruit for ...
  A: Bob; Supplies and paper goods are always difficult to allocate to different accounting departments ...
Fl Beer and Wine License1/30/2010
  Q: I own a small cafe, 1400 Sq Ft and 40 seats. We interested in a just a Beer and Wine License. I ...
  A: Erica; There is what is known as a 2 COP license that is beer and wine only. It is relatively ...
4 COP + food1/28/2010
  Q: We've recently purchased a bar (4 COP not SRX) and it's license in Florida. We'd like to have a ...
  A: Sharon; A 4 COP license in the state of Florida is the best you can get. It allows you to do a lot ...
deadbeats1/19/2010
  Q: Recently I have had a rash of callers ordering pizza then failing to show. We do not require a ...
  A: Allen; There are a number of ways to combat this problem. You mentioned the least desired method - ...
food court1/18/2010
  Q: I was wondering if you could offer any advice or input regarding my prospective business situation. ...
  A: Van; You have quite a project in mind. While you don't say, I am going to assume the location is in ...
Food cost for pizza, pasta rest.1/16/2010
  Q: I manage a pizza restaurant in Andover MN and just checking to see what the average food cost ...
  A: Joe; I wish there was a rule of thumb for "standard" percentages for all types of restaurants. The ...
Buying an existing restaurant.1/6/2010
  Q: Larry, I am a foreigner and have a friend who is working for a restaurant as a manager. She told me ...
  A: Verena; The restaurant business is risky. You should be very cautious about the seller's motives ...
Limited partnership12/27/2009
  Q: I want to open a 4th restaurant as a limited partner and would like to know your opinion and how you ...
  A: Roger; You asked what I thought about opening a fourth restaurant that is some distance away from ...
selling/saving a restaurant11/25/2009
  Q: My husband, who is currently running many businesses, purchased a building outside Boston in a ...
  A: Judith; Ah, dealing with family - how well I know. I have a son and another family member in ...
Buying an existing restaurant10/23/2009
  Q: I am looking into buying an existing restaurant. I have never owned one, but food and service are my ...
  A: Vera; Buying an existing restaurant is always risky. Be cautious and make sure your due diligence ...
ventilation9/23/2009
  Q: Larry, I just got off of the phone with the State Mechanical inspector and I received some bad ...
  A: Scott; Almost everything is negotiable between buyer, seller and landlord. However, under most ...
buying an existing restauant9/21/2009
  Q: My wife and I are thinking of buying an existing cafe. It has been in business for 20 years. The ...
  A: Scott; Here are some things to look at when buying an existing and operating restaurant: 1) Make ...
Challenges Starting a Restaurant.9/10/2009
  Q: Edger, I have been working as a Marketing Manager for a Consumer Durables company in India since 4 ...
  A: Rohan; You indeed have some valuable skills needed to enjoy success in the restaurant business. One ...
Recent Partnership cash call9/3/2009
  Q: I opened a restaurant with 3 partners in dec of 08. I am the chef and have worked with the same ...
  A: John; Since I know you probably aren't going to like my answer, just remember this little phrase ...
Coding Soda to Food or Beferage8/22/2009
  Q: For years I have coded Tea & Coffee into food cost & Soda into bar cost. What is typical in this ...
  A: Rob; For the sake of clearly looking at the profitability of various areas of your operation, I ...
opening a a restaurant8/20/2009
  Q: Mr. Edger I am looking into starting a restaurant that is based around health. My vision is to ...
  A: Matt; You have set some lofty goals for yourself, but not impossible targets. Some of the best new ...
Experience Opening a Restaurant8/17/2009
  Q: I graduate from a 4 year accredited college with a degree in Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional ...
  A: Katie; You have a stellar background and exceptional experience in the restaurant industry. ...
Temakeria in NYC8/1/2009
  Q: I saw that you answered a question about a brazilian temakeria, and was wondering your opinion on ...
  A: Gabriel; I would agree that the fixed costs in the main business districts of New York City may be ...
Buffet service7/20/2009
  Q: I would like to know how many waiters I would need to run a buffet style restaurant (they basically ...
  A: Karla; It is a little difficult to answer your question without more detail. How many tables ...
Incentives for kitchen7/15/2009
  Q: I am about to replace a chef and want to offer an attractive package to my next head chef. I planned ...
  A: Karene; The simple way, of course, is to set a budget and offer an incentive for all amounts below ...
Liquor licence's7/8/2009
  Q: I was wondering if you could explain the different types of liquor license's to me. Why can some ...
  A: Suzi; Sorry for the delay in answering this question. I am traveling and this is the first ...
Temakeria6/21/2009
  Q: Edger Hope you remember me! Sorry this is a bit long and it is a two part question. Its been 10 ...
  A: Elissar; I remember you very well. You inspired me to do some research on the growing Japanese ...
Insustry Books5/28/2009
  Q: Larry in your opinion what is the one or two must read books for someone looking to buy and build up ...
  A: Gabriel; This question is too easy! I am going to give you a very prejudiced answer! One of the top ...
Kitchen size approx5/24/2009
  Q: Barbecue business for 15 years. Sauce in stores see at(sauce4u.com)Lots of catering, blessed with ...
  A: Gene; Sounds like you have a growing successful business going. Based on the information above, I ...
moving to new location5/11/2009
  Q: My lease is up in 2 1/2 years and there is another bar/restaurant for sale right across the street ...
  A: Phil; Dealing with an uncooperative and/or unreasonable landlord can be a detriment to your ...
finding a chef5/1/2009
  Q: We are a 50 room resort-3+star-that just lost our CIA Hyde Park trained chef coming into peak ...
  A: Bob; While not really a question I can answer here, may I suggest you check one of the culinary ...
starting a new restaurant4/23/2009
  Q: I am studying management so that I may start my own restaurant one day, what can I expect my annual ...
  A: Pam; I hope you realize your dream one day. The restaurant business is one of the most challenging ...
Liquor License Lawyer4/21/2009
  Q: Larry, I will be opening up a bar in Philadelphia and am currently looking for a location and ...
  A: George; Best wishes on your planned venture. You are in the most important stages of the process. ...
tips/wagesand taxes3/13/2009
  Q: does the owner of the restaurant pay taxes on the tips their employees make and how are the tips ...
  A: Here are the basics. The owner of the restaurant pays social security taxes (FICA) on the gross ...
restaurant delivery service3/13/2009
  Q: I am a new start up company looking for a few answers before I begin operation. How does a mid-west ...
  A: Best wishes on your new venture! There are a couple of business models for restaurant delivery ...
inventory management scale/software3/8/2009
  Q: We have been working with the third party inventory audit company Bevinco, our company's owner has ...
  A: David; I rarely recommend a particular company unless I have a long term relationship and know they ...
HELP2/27/2009
  Q: Do you think tou can help me out with a school project, it is about creating a restaurant.... Or if ...
  A: Jacqueline; What kind of help do you need? You may also want to go to ...
deli buffet2/1/2009
  Q: I am catering a weekend event for 40 women. I am doing a deli buffet for one of the meals. I am ...
  A: Carrie; The answer is dependent on what you are serving along with the deli meat. If you are ...
seasonal restaurant1/15/2009
  Q: My question is do you have any suggestions on what to do to prepare for the season that will ...
  A: Mike, you don't say what type of seasonal environment you are in. However, I am going to assume you ...
Restaurant Manager Share12/19/2008
  Q: Someone wants me to take over their restaurant as manager. I think I want 10 percent share. ...
  A: Ryan; My first reaction to your question is whatever you do, get it in writing. Verbal agreements ...
Food Cost %12/17/2008
  Q: i manage a casual dining resturant and my food cost is running at 38% thats food to food.How do i ...
  A: Food cost control is always a big part of managing a restaurant. However, there is no guide to the ...
Starting my own restaurant11/19/2008
  Q: I have always worked in finance and feel now i need to divert away from the desk and do something a ...
  A: Marie; Sorry for the delay in answering your question. I have been traveling in an area where there ...
country club restaurant11/13/2008
  Q: i own a small 9 hole golf course with a clubhouse with a restaurant and bar facility. I have leased ...
  A: Ivy; To give you a good answer, I would have to know more about your operation. Things like number ...
Advertising11/12/2008
  Q: I am happy that I found you and I am hoping that you can help me. I bought a restaurant 16 months ...
  A: Anna; Good luck on your renovations. I am building my fourth restaurant right now and the ...
BOOSTING SALES11/6/2008
  Q: ) I'VE GONE TO SOME LOCAL CAR DEALERSHIPS AND HOSPITALS AND OFFERED THEM SPECIALS DISCOUNTS TO BOOST ...
  A: Laura; It looks like you understand what is necessary to bring new guests into the restaurant. ...
seating and dishes10/30/2008
  Q: I figure that a 1500 sq ft kitchen is good enough for my moderately upscale full service dine-in ...
  A: Martin; Good luck on your new venture! I will try to give you my perspective on each of the issues ...
Alcohol Inventory10/6/2008
  Q: I hope youíre a man of many hats. As you might remember I am thinking of opening up a poolroom in ...
  A: I have worn many hats - almost a necessity in this business! While you don't say, I am going to ...
Restaurant Startup Costs10/6/2008
  Q: If the menu is where it starts, then let us start with one that is similar to a small diner. ...
  A: Let's start with your food inventory. You should open your restaurant with three full days of food ...
labor costs10/3/2008
  Q: What is the industry standard for labor costs versus sales?
  A: I can give you the easy answer first and then the explanation that renders the easy answer almost ...
startup9/27/2008
  Q: Considering starting a small 10-12 seat breakfast place open F,S,Sn only til noon. You think that's ...
  A: I can only respond by saying anything is possible in this business. To properly answer your ...
Financing9/17/2008
  Q: I have been in the F&B business for over 25 years starting from the bottom. The vast majority of the ...
  A: John; Get ready for the biggest roller coaster ride of your life. My guess is you have had this ...
RE: Small Bakery Business9/17/2008
  Q: Greeting, Thank you for taking time on this email. I have a few questions on starting a small ...
  A: Good luck on your venture in New York. Your operation sounds more like a retail store than a ...
Stove Inquiry9/16/2008
  Q: Just sourcing expertise on Given a choice between Induction stove (Hot Plate) and Microwave And ...
  A: There is a great deal of difference between a microwave and a hot plate or induction plate. A ...
Bar & Restaurant Assumptions9/7/2008
  Q: In writing the business plan for a new pool room in Orlando, Florida I need to make assumptions. ...
  A: Essentially, you are correct. However, to be safe and accurate, you should estimate your sales for ...
Liquor to food ratios8/30/2008
  Q: I'm currently in Orlando, FL looking to open up an upscale pool and billiard club. I want a sports ...
  A: Rolando; Your investor is correct. Florida has a license known as a 4COP - SRX which is for ...
overall costs8/29/2008
  Q: When managing a hotel restaurant what would be the first things you would look at to lower overall ...
  A: Cody; Controlling costs in the restaurant business is a battle we fight constantly. However, the ...
cleaning companies8/25/2008
  Q: I am in the process of starting a restaurant. I am trying to find a cleaning company but do not ...
  A: Good luck on your new venture. Cleaning companies will do what you want them to do. Most come in ...
leasing a existing restaurant8/17/2008
  Q: I am considering leasing a building which is currently permitted as a bar with a full liquor ...
  A: Kat; The first thing that comes to mind is - be cautious! A management agreement is used as a ...
getting business8/15/2008
  Q: I work for a local health club. Recently I was hired on to change the lunch program around. Since we ...
  A: Willie; Sounds like a great idea! I assume you will focus on healthy alternatives to the fast food ...
Temakeria8/4/2008
  Q: In 20 days Iíll be opening my restaurant. Itís a new concept, all dishes will have the shape of a ...
  A: Congratulations on your new venture! The industry averages for restaurant marketing is 4 to 6 ...
starting up7/21/2008
  Q: Recently, a very good friend of mine and I have been planning out maybe starting a restaurant ...
  A: First let me say that once you get the restaurant bug, it is hard to get out of your mind. However, ...
your fav restaurant5/16/2008
  Q: What would you like to see in your favourite restaurant? - in terms of service...?
  A: Service is subjective. If I am at a four star restaurant in Chicago, I expect much more than a beach ...
estimates for opening a restaurant5/14/2008
  Q: i have to do a project for school. and i want to know how much it would cost(estimate) if i wanted ...
  A: Sarah; Since posting this reply, you may want to look at a new blog about starting a restaurant at ...

All Questions in This Category

Running a Restaurant

Larry Edger

Top Expert on this page