Running a Restaurant/Questions Answered by Expert David Foster

SubjectDate Asked
Restaurant Operations Help4/5/2017
  Q: Mr. Foster, I hope you can give me some much-needed help. I own an independent, full-service ...
  A: I do understand your frustration. We get a great number of inquiries like yours, especially from ...
Food Court Concept1/16/2017
  Q: Mr. Foster, I have been looking for a Restaurant Consultant to help me and I'm so glad I ran across ...
  A: I will do my best to help you. Food courts can be a great way to bring a new concept to the market, ...
Revenue Percentages9/21/2016
  Q: During what time frame is the 51% food versus 49% alcohol measured? Each event/day or over a year? ...
  A: Each state and often each county may have their own rules and procedures concerning what license is ...
Opening restaurant in a food court.6/9/2016
  Q: I'm Alex, 32 years old french guy (trying to type good english), I'm running a fast food in France ...
  A: I will do my best to answer your questions. First, congratulations on accomplishing what you have ...
Food Kiosk in Food Court4/25/2016
  Q: I'm looking for a food court space either in mall or university for food kiosk. Ideally, location ...
  A: Opening a food court concept that is successful takes every bit as much planning and thought as a ...
Sensor Door Systems for Restaurant.4/15/2016
  Q: Do you recommend Sensor Door Systems for Restaurant?. Thanks Prashant
  A: Whether or not an auto-opening door is right for you will depend upon your location, concept and ...
Business cards Dropbox for customers.4/14/2016
  Q: Do you feel it could be useful to have a central business cards dropbox or on each dining table for ...
  A: While an old-fashioned "fishbowl" for people to drop in their business cards can still be effective ...
Aquarium fish tanks in Restaurants.4/11/2016
  Q: Do you recommend to keep few Aquarium fish tanks in Restaurant which may add Business value?. ...
  A: It all depends upon your budget and the type of concept that you have. Aquariums can be a very ...
Multilingual Restaurant Website.4/5/2016
  Q: Do you feel there can be Business Benefits in Designing a Multilingual Restaurant Website?. Thanks ...
  A: Yes, there are benefits to offering a multilingual menu. There are costs involved as well, so I ...
Interactive voice recognition system for Restaurant.4/2/2016
  Q: Do you support to implement IVR system for Restaurant?. Thanks Prashant
  A: Interactive Voice Response systems can be very useful for restaurants, especially when it comes to ...
Saucing pizzas4/1/2016
  Q: Do they make instruments that resemble small window squeegees that can help sauce sheet pizzas as ...
  A: Most pizza makers use "spoodles" to sauce and then use the bottom of this utensil to spread the ...
Seats Reservation on Restaurants website.3/31/2016
  Q: Require your inputs regarding Seats reservation on restaurants website by customers in advance if ...
  A: How you handle reservations will all depend upon the type of concept you want to have as well as ...
Portable Vacuum cleaner for Restaurants.3/29/2016
  Q: Do you feel Portable vacuum cleaner product could be useful for Restaurant cleaning maintenance ...
  A: Any restaurant with carpeted floors will require some type of vacuum cleaner. It would need to be ...
Restaurants rooms sections.3/25/2016
  Q: Do you recommend separate rooms designed for vegetarian and non vegetarian serving food for ...
  A: I would absolutely NOT recommend separate rooms. The primary reason I would not recommend this is ...
Electronic panel in Restaurants.3/13/2016
  Q: Do you feel it could be useful for customers to have a Electronic lcd or Led panel displaying ...
  A: I will need some clarification to answer your question as well as I would like to answer it. Given ...
Best food processor for the job9/11/2015
  Q: Mr Foster I would like to benefit from your long experience in this business. I am looking for a ...
  A: I want to be able to help you, but there are a few more pieces of information that I will need in ...
HELP Labor laws7/19/2015
  Q: "Hello, and thank you for reading my question. I am from Mexico and buy a restaurant in Miami a year ...
  A: I live in Missouri, so I can't speak for Florida's unemployment laws. But I can tell you some ...
Propelling Pizzeria, maketing ideas?6/27/2015
  Q: I own a small pizzeria in Quito, Ecuador and I am trying to grow the business at a faster rate. I´ve ...
  A: I will be happy to try to help you. Since you are on a limited budget, one of the least expensive ...
NEGOTIATING A GOOD DEAL FOR A STORE IN A FOOD COURT IN A MALL5/9/2015
  Q: My name is Stoian and I am a co-owner of a small business located in Los Angeles. I am thinking of ...
  A: I will do my best to help you. Getting into a good mall with a new food court concept can be ...
Labor questions..4/3/2015
  Q: I am from Mexico and my family recently acquired a restaurant in Miami. The personnel was ...
  A: I apologize for being slow to reply. I must have missed the original email. One of the first things ...
Wait Times1/12/2015
  Q: I manage a small family owned restaurant on the river in Florida. We have a very small kitchen but a ...
  A: It is good that you have the problem of lots of guests, but certainly challenging if your kitchen is ...
Discipline11/10/2014
  Q: I am a fifty two year old woman with 25 years experience in the service industry. I was recently ...
  A: It sounds as though it is good that you left. I see this kind of thing in all kinds of businesses, ...
insurance11/8/2014
  Q: Opening up a small hole in the wall cafe. Doing proforma. What would be a target for insurance on ...
  A: To give you an informed answer, I would need to know more. Are you leasing the building? If so, ...
Stand Alone or Food Court2/17/2014
  Q: We own a building that has been used as a restaurant for the last 20 years or so. Our most recent ...
  A: It will be my pleasure to try to help you. I do have a few questions for you that will help me to ...
food courts leasing12/5/2013
  Q: I am trying to lease a food courts in mall at Johnson City Tennessee Region. This is the biggest ...
  A: My apologies for being slow to respond. I simply missed seeing the email from All Experts. It is a ...
Restaurant contests12/3/2013
  Q: I've been running a restaurant for about a year now and I'm thinking of organizing a contest as a ...
  A: It may not be this way in your country, but in many places you cannot require a purchase in order ...
ticket times11/11/2013
  Q: Running ticket time if you are busy ? how long on app,entrees ? 12 tickets in the window
  A: It would be great to have more info - for instance the type of restaurant (casual dining, family ...
Staying in business10/29/2013
  Q: I am moving to Northern Arizona from Atlanta when I retire shortly and want to know what the biggest ...
  A: I have been in the restaurant industry for over 45 years (including the last 15 years as a ...
Restaurant Revenue6/24/2013
  Q: I am needing advice on information regarding Food cost, gross earnings per year for restaurants. Our ...
  A: I can help. We have a process we go through when doing financial projections that is probably a lot ...
How to structure a partnership agreement6/12/2013
  Q: I have a restaurant that has been successfully operating for 2 1/2 years now and I am approached all ...
  A: My apologies for being slow to reply. Sometimes I miss these in my email, and this was one of those ...
advise5/29/2013
  Q: I am a Mexican chef that will partner up with one person in Boston. I want to know how much % of ...
  A: My pleasure to try to help you. There are a hundred different ways to create a partnership like you ...
Food Court Leasing4/23/2013
  Q: I have a food concept that I am looking to execute in different food courts and airports starting ...
  A: We have had experience with a lot of food courts although none were in NYC. As an independent ...
Opening a new Cafe/Deli4/22/2013
  Q: I'm looking at a new concept with a live/work environment, and one shop is reserved for a small ...
  A: For me to give you a fee quotation, I will need to know a little more about your vision for the ...
Food, Liquor, Labor, Prime Cost4/15/2013
  Q: I started a full service 125 seat inside restaurant with 125 seats seasonally outside May-Sept in ...
  A: You have no idea how much I appreciate the fact that you have given me enough information to answer ...
Preparing a business plan - determining costs and finding sample spreadsheets4/4/2013
  Q: I'm looking into starting a small fast casual restaurant and am putting together a business plan. I ...
  A: Starting a new concept is a daunting task, even for industry veterans. For someone with little or ...
Unique retail Ice Cream concept3/11/2013
  Q: The concept would broaden the product offering away from the unique ice cream ice cream to ...
  A: Erik, My apologies for taking this long to reply. I simply missed the All Experts email telling me ...
Food Court Consultant2/20/2013
  Q: I am leasing some space in a shopping centre which is expected to be built by mid 2014. As the time ...
  A: I am sorry that I have been slow to respond. We have a great deal of experience in mall food court ...
taking over Bar and Grill at a golf course1/23/2013
  Q: My wife and I just recently purchased a golf course that has a full bar and grill with full menu. ...
  A: For novices, the restaurant business can be very, very tough. Here are a few suggestions. 1) Try ...
culinary project1/22/2013
  Q: I found your name when researching food cost percentages on the Internet. I am in culinary school ...
  A: You are wise to recognize that the food cost will most likely be higher because of the higher end ...
Selling an existing business12/18/2012
  Q: Mr. Foster: I currently own and operate a 220 seat restaurant for the past 10 years. We have had it ...
  A: I believe I can help, but I may need a bit more information to give you the best possible answer. I ...
Worksheets11/17/2012
  Q: I'm getting ready to take ownership of a turnkey. I was wondering if you had any worksheets or forms ...
  A: I am sure that there are many, many documents that you will need to have on hand to effectively ...
Ideal Food cost11/13/2012
  Q: I would like to know hoe do you figure the ideal food cost by providing an example of the ...
  A: First, let's look at how we calculate food cost in general. Take your beginning inventory, ...
Taking over a mid night moveout restaurant?11/5/2012
  Q: first and foremost, I have really appreciated the wealth of knowledge on this site. Now for my ...
  A: I have some HUGE concerns that you need to think about before even considering moving forward with ...
food costs10/30/2012
  Q: when determining the 33% food cost target, does it include paper products, disposables, cleaning ...
  A: The food cost target should include all foods, non-alcoholic beverages (unless you serve alcohol and ...
restaurant staffing10/25/2012
  Q: Active Adult Retirement Community has Clubhouse with three venues for dining: a breakfast and lunch ...
  A: Your labor cost as a percentage of sales is definitely high. Many, many factors determine labor ...
restaurants for sale10/20/2012
  Q: I'am trying to get a grant or funding for a restaurant as I'am 52 young and need a job so thinking ...
  A: Sherry, The restaurant business is challenging at best and downright brutal at worst. The economy ...
operating costs10/13/2012
  Q: I operate a small 45 seat cafe in a small town. We took over an existing cafe and renamed it and ...
  A: This is a much more in depth question (or series of questions) than we usually answer on here, but I ...
Questions on cost control9/15/2012
  Q: "I along with two other partners are starting a restaurant. The location is a turnkey operation with ...
  A: I apologize for taking so long to get back to you on this. We typically respond much more quickly ...
Bar cost9/11/2012
  Q: How or does a high inventory ever effect liquor cost?
  A: Yes, high inventory can have a negative impact on liquor costs. There is a psychological effect ...
Ticket Times8/21/2012
  Q: What are acceptable ticket times for: 1. Greeting 2. Drink Orders 3. Appetizers 4. Entrees 5. ...
  A: Acceptable ticket times can vary tremendously dependent upon the concept. Fine dining will be at a ...
starting a food court business7/29/2012
  Q: Hey there... I am David Regmi from south bay area California and currently working as a restaurant ...
  A: Are you already open for business? It would help to know. I know it may sound good to offer ...
Opening a Cafe & Wine Bar5/19/2012
  Q: I'm looking into a small place for a Wine and beer bar in Westchester County, Ny. I have restaurant ...
  A: You have done a good job thinking this through. The next step is to actually create spreadsheets ...
Opening a cafe/restauant5/18/2012
  Q: Me and my partner thinking of opening a small cafe/restaurant, 1,200 sq. ft. of Latin food in Miami, ...
  A: Javier, There are a lot more monthly bills than just rent. Your food cost, your labor cost, your ...
restaurant partnership5/7/2012
  Q: I am getting close to opening my first restaurant. I have been a chef for 15 years and am bringing ...
  A: Congratulations on your upcoming venture. Assuming you both are contributing equally to the ...
Purchase of existing restaurant with property5/4/2012
  Q: I have an opportunity to purchase an existing 100 seat restaurant, with a seasonal courtyard (which ...
  A: You have done an excellent job of providing me sufficient information to give you a satisfactory ...
sweat equity disagreement5/2/2012
  Q: There are 3 partners in our restaurant concept. We have 3 locations of a casual dining restaurant. ...
  A: This is tough. The very first thing for Partners 2 and 3 to do would be to review the initial ...
Kitchen labor cost cunundrum5/2/2012
  Q: I am the corporate chef for our multiple concept restaurant group and am having problems with labor. ...
  A: Did ownership and/or the GM tell you how they came upon the target percentage that they are using as ...
Opening a Bar & Grill4/28/2012
  Q: I'm opening a bar and grill in Myrtle Beach South Carolina and I'm trying to put together an ...
  A: I believe I just sent an email to you in response to your email. I will go ahead and do my best to ...
Leasing a restaurant/bar4/3/2012
  Q: I have an opportunity to lease a restaurant/bar. Is this a good idea? What questions should I ask ...
  A: In order to give you a sound answer, I will need more information. It is impossible to know if this ...
Good Deal?3/9/2012
  Q: Long story short, $50K for 1/2 the business. $500 a week salary to manage the business a minimum of ...
  A: I just received this. It is good to have additional info. Based upon what you have shared with me, ...
Is this not a great deal?3/9/2012
  Q: Foster, Last year I offered an employee of 10 years that was looking to find another job an ...
  A: Diana, Several things stand out here. It is good that you were willing to make this employee a ...
costing out draft beer3/6/2012
  Q: I have recently been given the bar supervisor position at my restaurant. I can cost out everything ...
  A: I'm not sure where you live, but the prices you are paying for your keg beer seem relatively high. ...
Should I hire delivery driver as contractor or as an employee?2/4/2012
  Q: I am considering adding delivery services to my restaurant. Should I hire the delivery as ...
  A: Sam, While I am not a labor attorney and I do not live in California, I think I can give you some ...
themes1/19/2012
  Q: how do you know which theme you want for your restaurant?
  A: The best approach is to look at the community where you want to locate your restaurant and see who ...
rfp12/6/2011
  Q: I currently own a small cafe that has been providing catering services for a large corporation and ...
  A: An "RFP" can be intimidating. It is a formal "Request for Proposal" and as such is typically a very ...
Food Court buisness10/26/2011
  Q: I am thinking about starting a business in a Mall Food Court or outlying area, if possible in a mall ...
  A: It would be my pleasure to try to help. We have a great deal of experience working with mall food ...
Custard Restaurant10/5/2011
  Q: I am considering purchasing a small custard (ice cream) business located in a busy walking district ...
  A: One of my clients is a frozen custard concept called Andy's Frozen Custard (www.eatandys.com). They ...
Taking over a restaurant7/1/2011
  Q: My husband and I are discussing leasing an existing restaurant from a friend of a friend. We both ...
  A: I will be happy to try to help you. I am a bit confused, though. Will you be leasing the ...
FOOD court/center6/30/2011
  Q: My dream is to esterbilish a food count in my country although I'm an Entrprenuer student residing ...
  A: Tyno Jim Oguama, Here in America food courts are typically found in shopping malls, airports and ...
Restaurant Troubles6/22/2011
  Q: Our situation is a bit different because we are in West Africa, business here is a little bit ...
  A: I do agree with you that marketing is important. In today's competitive environment, it is not only ...
Restaurant (idea)6/19/2011
  Q: Mr.Foster I am an immigrant(Haiti) in Montreal. My community is in the restaurant business, their ...
  A: I can think of a few services that you might consider offering. Some may be more practical for you ...
Opening My Business6/14/2011
  Q: I have been in the food and hospitality business for almost 10 years now, as either a cook, hostess, ...
  A: It sounds as though you do have significant experience in the hospitality industry. It is good to ...
Restaurant Concept/Investor5/15/2011
  Q: I am chef by profession and been working for the past 24 odd years. I am 48 years old. Worked in ...
  A: I wish there were an easy answer, but there just isn't. There are some steps, however, that I would ...
Food Court Traffic4/18/2011
  Q: I am looking into opening an eatery within an SF Bay Area shopping mall's enclosed food court. While ...
  A: We have a lot of experience with food court concepts and concepts located in other non-traditional ...
resturaunt staffing4/10/2011
  Q: I am opening a multi-complex restaurant/event center my question is what would my staffing be on a ...
  A: I want to make certain I understand your question correctly. You will be opening a ...
budget for start-up kitchen supplies4/4/2011
  Q: I am working on business plan for bar/restaurant. Have all equipment, i.e. ovens, stoves, fryers, ...
  A: I will do the best I can with the info you have given me. Since it is a bar/restaurant I am ...
Seasonal Cleaning List3/24/2011
  Q: Can you give examples of what would be considered a seasonal cleaning job for a restaurant? Like... ...
  A: Okay, here are a few items that are "seasonal" and/or periodic cleaning items for restaurants: ...
management of restaurant3/5/2011
  Q: 2. Assume that a group of investors are planning to open a restaurant offering family meals in the ...
  A: Bharati, I am afraid that this is a homework question rather than a question that is truly relevant ...
Restaurant All Inclusive Food Costs2/3/2011
  Q: Greetings David. I have been handed the opening of a cheesesteak restaurant in Dallas. I have my ...
  A: What is typically done (well, what SHOULD be done) is to break out your food purchases (and ...
Average Food Costs2/2/2011
  Q: We just opened a panini sandwich shop which also offers extra's like chips, pop, coleslaw, salads ...
  A: Mary, Your food cost is going to be determined by your portion cost (which in turn is determined by ...
Restaurant ownership1/16/2011
  Q: I have some very good friends that approach me with the idea of putting a Mexican restaurant along ...
  A: Along with having a liquor license in your name goes a LOT of potential liability. I understand ...
Determining Underlying Assumptions1/11/2011
  Q: I am a member of the business organization DECA, and my team and I aspire to compete at a national ...
  A: If I understand correctly, you are looking for a source or sources that can help you determine ...
Labor percentages1/8/2011
  Q: I have owned a full service pizza restaurant for several years. My labor guidelines are 6% for the ...
  A: Your numbers are very reasonable. I do like to look at a TOTAL labor cost as well, which means that ...
Startup Restaurant business1/8/2011
  Q: I am starting a fast food restaurant business (Shish Kebab). a friend wants to get into this as a ...
  A: Partnerships can be tough. Often, each party believes they contribute more than the other. In ...
purchase price1/6/2011
  Q: I am the guy from 11/15 question wanting to buy a 75 seat grill. The owner has already failed one ...
  A: Steve, I do recall answering your previous question. I won't reiterate my concerns from the past ...
Investment Question12/14/2010
  Q: I am in the process of opening a restaurant. I have someone who wants to invest 50k into it. How ...
  A: Shawn, There are many, many options available to both of you. Ultimately, the best terms are going ...
restaurant12/8/2010
  Q: here are some questions that i have for my feasability analysis. -how much would rent cost for a ...
  A: Eduardo, You have many, many questions here. Asking how much it will cost to open a restaurant is ...
Garbage cans on line. BOH12/6/2010
  Q: One of my employees came in one day and told me that we could not have garbage cans on the line and ...
  A: Michele, I am not aware of anything in ServSafe that prohibits you from having a trash can on the ...
opening a resturant12/5/2010
  Q: i am 22 years old i have always wanted to open my own vegetarian restaurant but the problem ifs i ...
  A: If you want to eventually open your own restaurant, vegetarian or otherwise, I would encourage you ...
Food Cost/Pricing12/2/2010
  Q: I manage the kitchens of a regional 5-unit upscale/casual restaurant chain. Our combined sales are ...
  A: There are several things you can do. First, make certain that your current buying program is the ...
purchase of existing business11/15/2010
  Q: I am looking at buying a 75 seat grill in a medium sized city with ten beer taps. It is almost two ...
  A: It sounds as though you have asked a lot of the right questions that will help you make an informed ...
free standing restaurant11/7/2010
  Q: my name is Gian, i own a 3500 sqf restaurant in Northern Va, is successfull, but I think me and my ...
  A: I will do my best to help you. I have no way of knowing whether or not the rent for the building ...
fast foods interior decoration11/7/2010
  Q: how can i design my fast food resturent,area is 30'*18' sq feet area,please advice me
  A: Ashish, In order to give you a good answer, I need more information. Is the dimension you gave me ...
Restaurant breakdown of costs10/19/2010
  Q: I own an independent restaurant in Canada where the minimum wage is $9.25/hr. We do approx $1.5 ...
  A: I apologize for taking so long to respond. I simply missed the question in my email. There are so ...
marketing and design10/9/2010
  Q: I just bought a restaurant in manhattan NY. its a running business. the people who i bought it from ...
  A: Talha, To give you a good answer I would really need more info but I will do the best I can with ...
food service commisary9/14/2010
  Q: I am starting a mobile food service truck,and need a commissary(somewhere to prepare food, get fresh ...
  A: If you can tell me where you plan on locating (city and state) that would help me to do a better job ...
NA Cost9/10/2010
  Q: What do you think would be a typical Non Alcoholic drinks cost? I.E. bottled (no fountain) sodas, ...
  A: Most of the time restaurant operators will set food menu prices based more upon cost (and profit ...
labor costs8/20/2010
  Q: How much should my labor costs be in a full service restaurant that operates 12 hours a day 7 days a ...
  A: There is no "set" percentage of labor cost that I can suggest is right for your operation. What I ...
How to advertize myself7/24/2010
  Q: I'm the chef (19 years of experience) of my own restaurant in Italy. I became a chef just for fun, ...
  A: I went to your Facebook page and looked at your wonderful food. I grew up in the restaurant ...
dedicated F & B7/21/2010
  Q: i have a full service, full liquor, casual florida restarant . 1.5 mill p.a. + 60 staff. am adding ...
  A: I will do my best to give you a solid answer. First of all, a bit about my restaurant operations ...
Finding a chef7/17/2010
  Q: My partner and I(I'm the one with the restaurant background)are negotiating for an existing ...
  A: It is, as you have said, extremely important to have the right person in the kitchen. Not only does ...
Pickles7/16/2010
  Q: This question isn't so much about the restaurant business, but about ingredients. There didn't seem ...
  A: There are certain varieties of cucumbers that make better pickles than others. Your best bet is to ...
trash costs7/15/2010
  Q: We are trying to standardize our trash chargebacks to our retailers, which includes full-service ...
  A: My only experience with this comes from CAM (common area maintenance) charges passed through from ...
Restaurant Partnership?7/10/2010
  Q: Should I take on a new partner? I have an upscale casual, 160 seat, (and 30+ seat patio, six months ...
  A: CC, until I learn more about your restaurant I can't say that taking on a partner is a good idea or ...
% of gross income for various budget catagories6/14/2010
  Q: Can you tell me what the average costs are for the various (obvious) expenditure categories? Food ...
  A: Before I give you "average" percentages I have to put in a disclaimer that these will vary greatly ...
Second Location5/31/2010
  Q: How do you know when? I currently have a 80 seat restaurant that will do ~$575,000 this year. Our ...
  A: Expanding is both exciting and frightening. You are wise to hesitate and think things through. ...
Location n Menu5/24/2010
  Q: I have heard that location is everything. My concept is vegetarian fast casual style food. What ...
  A: I apologize for the delay in answering your question. I was attending the National Restaurant ...
Partnership5/13/2010
  Q: I am the sole owner of a successful fine dining restaurant sales 1M. Exec Chef has been i position ...
  A: Two very important things to remember BEFORE entering into a business partnership. First, make sure ...
Payroll percentage4/22/2010
  Q: I own a pizzeria, bar Italian restaurant. My food vs liquor sales are about 50/50. I have 55 seats ...
  A: My apologies for taking so long to reply. I have been out of the office. If your labor cost ...
normal food cost percentage4/11/2010
  Q: i just wanna ask you the normal food cost percentage in this industry. thanx
  A: As far as "normal" food and labor costs, there are so many variables it is difficult to say. ...
opening a cafe4/7/2010
  Q: I am thinking about putting a bid on a small cafe that seats about 15 people. It does only breakfast ...
  A: There are a lot of things to think about when considering the purchase of a restaurant. A small ...
Staffing4/5/2010
  Q: I am working for the owner of 2 restaurants with combined annual sales of 11 million dollars. I ...
  A: I tend to agree with you that this is going to require more than just a few hours a week. Not ...
Labor and Food cost percents4/3/2010
  Q: I was wondering for a small restaurant (15 tables, 56 seats) what a good food cost percent and labor ...
  A: When you calculate food cost, make certain that you follow this procedure: Start with an accurate ...
operating cost ratios3/22/2010
  Q: lease a building to a former waitress who is strugling to make it. daily sales only $1000 in a 70 ...
  A: The lower the sales volume the more difficult it is for a restaurant to be profitable. It sounds as ...
Running A Restaurant3/16/2010
  Q: How is a good restaurant ran?
  A: Well, this is a pretty broad question, but I think I can give you a meaningful answer. A "good" ...
pricing of desserts3/3/2010
  Q: This is a multiple layered question. I am looking for costing certain desserts for use in a ...
  A: I am not completely sure what you are asking, but I will do my best with my reply. In order to cost ...
Pour cost for draft beer2/28/2010
  Q: What would be an acceptable pour cost in a local restaurant for a pint of Bud and a 60oz pitcher? ...
  A: Not knowing what you are paying for a keg of Bud makes it difficult to answer this, but I can still ...
Lease2/23/2010
  Q: I am reviewing a lease for a 70 seater. In the lease the landlord is asking for a % of gross annual ...
  A: Leases are almost always negotiable. The deal you will get from a landlord most often hinges on how ...
Restaurant standards2/22/2010
  Q: I am in the process of putting together a business plan for a 211 seat restaurant with a bar - my ...
  A: Your food cost will, of course, be determined by your menu (both pricing and content), the portions ...
P & L v. QB2/21/2010
  Q: Foster. I read your response regarding an excel sheet for a P & L for another query. I have beeen ...
  A: I will send you the spreadsheet files. I can't attach them here, so I will need an email address ...
liquor cost/beer cost2/6/2010
  Q: We are buying a restaurant here in Canada. Our pricing is a little different over here cause of the ...
  A: When faced with the need to take price increases, there is no "painless" way, especially during ...
P&L1/29/2010
  Q: I was wondering if you had an example of a P%26L form that you believe is best for restaurant use. ...
  A: I do have a template that I recommend using and I have attached that Excel file. To get a really ...
wing night1/25/2010
  Q: We have a 42 seat wing and beer restaurant. We have two wing nights where we offer 2 for one. Our ...
  A: There are several things to consider when you are making the decision as to whether or not to ...
Payroll1/8/2010
  Q: My labor cost is 38%. To calculate the labor cost for my restaurant I add my wages including the ...
  A: Many restaurants report labor without benefits, reporting benefits (social security, etc) as a ...
4COP SRX LICENCE1/6/2010
  Q: IN FLORIDA I HAVE A 4COPSRX LICENCE. WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DO NOT MAINTAIN THAT 51 TO 49 FOOD TO ...
  A: I may be of limited assistance since I do not live in the state of Florida, but from the research I ...
Assistant Restaurant Manager Interview question12/11/2009
  Q: Sir, I have my interview just after 2 days. kindly help me by sending me the points in which i have ...
  A: I have been traveling so I just received this question and will do my best to give you a good ...
restaurant12/7/2009
  Q: need help putting a weekly plan togather that will work
  A: I am not sure what all you want your weekly plan to encompass, but I will give you an idea of things ...
take over restaurant12/4/2009
  Q: I am buying a Pizzeria restaurant that was close for about 3 weeks. Now that I goight to take over, ...
  A: I will take your questions one at a time. In my opinion, if the pizzeria closed due to lack of ...
inventory12/1/2009
  Q: Whose responsibility is inventory, and is this a responsibility that the lowest paid employee should ...
  A: Each restaurant owner may set his or her inventory preferences and procedures differently than ...
Who controls the money in the Bank11/13/2009
  Q: This is my first time acting as a Silent Partner in the restaurant business. I would like to know ...
  A: It would be very helpful to know how your business is set up. Is it an LLC or a Sub-Chapter "S" ...
labor and food costing10/27/2009
  Q: Okay I am a chef in a private club in a gated community. We cater mainly to the residents of the ...
  A: The "normal" target range for combined food and labor costs is from 55% to 65%. If you are not ...
business10/7/2009
  Q: In Restaurant and cafe business how long will normally take to get money back what ever you spend ...
  A: This is a difficult question in that the length of time it takes to recapture your investment will ...
restaurant10/6/2009
  Q: how important do you think it is to have restaurant experience before entering the business as an ...
  A: It is very important to have experience before becoming an owner or operator of a restaurant. The ...

All Questions in This Category

Running a Restaurant

David Foster

Top Expert on this page