Running a Restaurant/Questions Answered by Expert Jeffrey Summers

SubjectDate Asked
Business cards Dropbox for customers.4/14/2016
  Q: Do you feel it could be useful to have a Central Business cards dropbox or on each Dining table for ...
  A: No. Don't clutter the tables with items that are only important for you. The table top is sacred ...
Restaurant new administration Advise7/19/2015
  Q: I am from Mexico, my family buy a restaurant in Miami a year ago. That deal was so strange, the ...
  A: I need more information. Of course this isn't an answer. It's a request for more information, ...
Wait Times1/12/2015
  Q: I manage a small family owned restaurant on the river in Florida. We have a very small kitchen but a ...
  A: Sorry for the wait (no pun intended) in getting back to you, I've been out for health reasons. The ...
food service in commercial office building7/18/2014
  Q: I manage a 225,000sf office building in Ct. we currently have a small food vendor that sells coffee ...
  A: There are no formal formulas or ratios for determining whether or not you should offer a subsidy to ...
Tip Reporting6/9/2014
  Q: I work in an high volume restaurant in California. My employer has instructed me to report tips for ...
  A: I'm not sure why a consultant would say such a thing. Except that he doesn't know the law. ...
Bmi license11/14/2013
  Q: I am an owner of a small restaurant in the state of Missouri BMI is telling me that I need to have a ...
  A: Unless the people who are "jamming" are doing so using their own music, written and composed by ...
Question11/6/2013
  Q: What is the specific target market for a Bar & Grill restaurant with some computerisation ??
  A: There's no such thing as 'the target market' for anything. You determine it by defining the market ...
Advice5/29/2013
  Q: I am a Mexican chef that will partner up with one person in Boston. I want to know how much % of ...
  A: You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. Fair has nothing to do with it. Time has ...
Executive Chef11/28/2012
  Q: Greetings Jeffrey, I have five years experience owning and operating a medium sized restaurant. ...
  A: Several questions you have to ask yourself, your market and the candidates. What type of ...
Buying a Restaurant10/22/2012
  Q: I am thinking of buying a restaurant that has closed because of partnership issues. Here are some ...
  A: Gross sales are too low. At that level, these expenses which all seem in-line except for rent, are ...
Restaurant Partnership10/22/2012
  Q: I was involved in opening my first restaurant with 2 other partners. Unfortunately, days before we ...
  A: A few questions: You mean he gets the 70% and you get the 30%? Any repayment of the principle before ...
copensation to staff while closed for repair9/8/2012
  Q: We are closing our restaurant for four days , M-Th, while we install a new exhaust hood in the ...
  A: 1. Pay them full wages. 2. Pay them half wages. 3. Pay them no wages. No standard just what you ...
opening a restaurant with an investor.3/28/2012
  Q: Me and my husband are thinking into going into business with an investor who is buying the ...
  A: You should ask for compensation that is commensurate with the value that you bring to the business. ...
partnership in a small restaurant3/1/2012
  Q: Kindly give me an advise about partnership. I got a proposal from a friend who have an interest on ...
  A: The pursuit of fairness is a fool's errand. Fair is a myth. You get what you negotiate - that is ...
remotely Controlling an Overseas Business11/12/2011
  Q: Good day, I just got an opportunity of taking over a small restaurant business as part of a debt ...
  A: You can't manage the business by visiting just 2 days a month. Is anyone there in the position to ...
Assuming/buying a running restaurant11/2/2011
  Q: Jeff, Thanks for taking my question. My husband and I are buying a restaurant that is currently ...
  A: If you have concerns about all of those issues, you need to hire a consultant to help you do it all. ...
subsidies9/26/2011
  Q: I am a new cafe owner and have several questions regarding subsidizing our business. We are in a ...
  A: First, fewer and fewer companies are offering subsidies to their contracted foodservice operators. ...
restaurant build9/15/2011
  Q: Hey Carl, I am in the very beginning stages of getting a new restaurant going. I have been in the ...
  A: First, it's Jeffrey, not Carl. And secondly there is simply too much information missing to give you ...
labor cost for a lounge8/4/2011
  Q: would you please tell me what is an acceptable labor cost percentage for a cigar bar and lounge in ...
  A: What's acceptable is actually, only what's acceptable to you, the operator. The problem with "what ...
Cost5/4/2011
  Q: Do you add tax into the price of your drinks, or do you charge the customer on the receipt. We sell ...
  A: 1. You should add tax into your drink prices. It simply makes it easier for the guest. I also ...
new pizza place5/3/2011
  Q: I want to first thank you for your time here and knowing that these information cost a lot money to ...
  A: 1. Your options are to do it yourself and probably lose a lot of money or hire a restaurant ...
Business Plan Software for Restaurants1/11/2011
  Q: Mr Summers, Do you have a recommendation for software that best addresses the needs of writing a ...
  A: Yes, don't use any. Hire the business plan created by someone who has successful experience in ...
chef/partner profit share1/7/2011
  Q: iam a chef I was hired by an investor as a chef/partner to startup a new restaurant ventures in new ...
  A: You never get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. Given the small amount of detail you ...
Rent in Mall1/5/2011
  Q: I have a burger/fries restaurant in a mall's foodcourt. My current rent is 1000.00/month and 10% of ...
  A: Your total occupancy costs (everything it cost you to be in your location...rent, CAM, utilities, ...
corporate cafeteria11/18/2010
  Q: We presently provide on site cafeteria services for a large corporation and receive a monthly ...
  A: They're probably also looking to end the subsidy as most already have. A lot of variables are at ...
Restaurant research11/16/2010
  Q: If you could please read and respond to my question, I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking ...
  A: Your doing it backwards. Once you have determined what the market opportunities exist, you start ...
menu11/1/2010
  Q: Where can i find help on producing a good buffet menu that changes everyday ANSWER: What kind of ...
  A: In that case, you are way beyond help from a forum such as this. There are too many issues that need ...
Percentages10/26/2010
  Q: Summers: I am being asked to assist a struggling restaurant. In looking at ideal percentages for ...
  A: Bottom line - move to one that is more affordable or renegotiate the terms or grow out of it. I ...
Cost Control10/14/2010
  Q: What is occupation cost?
  A: I'm sure you mean "occupancy costs". That is the total cost of everything it takes for you to use ...
Lease9/20/2010
  Q: I'm currently eyeing a location in a very crowded plaza to open up as eatery place. The asking ...
  A: 1. You tell me the price but how many sf is it? 20? 200? 2,000? 2. You need to understand if this ...
proper ratio of all types of meat9/13/2010
  Q: Good Day Jeffrey; I was researching for the known 10 is to 1 kilo ratio of bone out meat portioning ...
  A: Those rules of thumb do not exist. Each catering event is different and you should have recipes for ...
Restaurant Lease Negotiation8/25/2010
  Q: ..they have really opened up my eyes! I know you stress the importance of having a professional ...
  A: We stress that the person negotiating on your behalf actually be an expert in your field - in our ...
Restaurant Partner?7/10/2010
  Q: Should I take on a new partner? I have an upscale casual, 160 seat, (and 30+ seat patio, six months ...
  A: Who would want to partner with a broke operation? Where's the incentive? If I'm a Chef who brings in ...
Location n Menu5/24/2010
  Q: I have heard that location is everything. My concept is vegetarian fast casual style food. What ...
  A: Location is NOT everything. Context is everything. A good location is both in the center of your ...
Catering Pricing5/20/2010
  Q: Is there a tried and true formula for pricing a catering menu which won't create sticker shock yet ...
  A: Yes, it's called managing expectations and it's not a pricing strategy - it's a client strategy. The ...
What are your thoughts on this opportunity?9/21/2009
  Q: I live in a town that has a population of 15000 in the city with a county population of 35000 and ...
  A: This is a great question but it lacks enough detail to answer you with anything but a general ...
Landlord vs Tenant Responsibilities9/17/2009
  Q: Hey Jeff, I purchased a older building a little over a year ago which has housed a home cooking ...
  A: If you own it, you're responsible for it. You didn't say whether or not the restaurant's equipment ...
Building Business9/10/2009
  Q: I've just taken over operations of a beautiful martini/sushi bar venue that has had a rocky start ...
  A: 2 words - Public Relations. Advertising is useless. Focus on re-engineering the guest experience ...
soup8/25/2009
  Q: I've been following your previous post re soup. I have product, label, UPC and nutrition labeling, ...
  A: No, but I have some questions: 1. Are you licensed to manufacture out of your place of business? 2. ...
Labor, food and liquor costs8/17/2009
  Q: I have a 180 restaurant serving casual food in a resort beach town. We just opened in July. I am ...
  A: The question isn't whether it 'sounds correct', the question is 'Is it right for your business?" ...
1st year anniversary8/2/2009
  Q: Next month my BBQ restaurant will be celebrating our 1st year of business. We are trying to come up ...
  A: The term is "Cause Marketing" and not only should you incorporate it into the 1st year celebration, ...
Starting my own Chinese take-away restaurant7/12/2009
  Q: We are some pretty young people from Lithuania, we don't have a lot of experience in marketing. In ...
  A: All plans sound great until you have to work it out on paper and then make it happen in the real ...
prime cost6/30/2009
  Q: what is the ideal prime for a chicken restaurant
  A: I don't have any information about your business, so I can't begin to tell you where you should be. ...
Occupancy Cost6/27/2009
  Q: but I am still little confused. I usually see the article that the rent should not go over certain ...
  A: Rent = everything you pay your landlord every month. (Rent, % rent, CAM, etc...)This should not ...
Occupancy Cost6/26/2009
  Q: You have mentioned the Occupancy costs should never run above 8-10% of total gross sales. Is this ...
  A: Total Occupancy Costs mean everything it costs you to be in the building. Everything = rent, CAM, ...
summer festivals6/18/2009
  Q: My restaurant is going to be selling food at a few summer festivals in my city. What should we be ...
  A: You should always be looking to source guests and potential guest's information to add to your ...
Labour costs6/11/2009
  Q: Thre are negative impacts with reducing labour costs due to low sales.However when reducing you ...
  A: There are more negative impacts in reducing it than increasing it. Which is what makes it so crucial ...
staffing5/25/2009
  Q: What is the proper staff required for both BOH and FOH for a start up 150 seat restaurant with a ...
  A: There's no such thing as 'proper staffing levels' for any concept or size. It depends on your ...
FOOD PORTIONS5/16/2009
  Q: IS THERE SUCH A THING AS A BOOK ON FOOD PORTIONS? I'M LOOKINH TO OPEN A FAMILY DINER AND CAN'T ...
  A: Look in any cookbook or standard recipe. Follow up: Without any explanation about what kind of ...
Staffing a new cafe5/6/2009
  Q: Mr. Summers, I am in the process of writing my business plan to start a 100 seat cafe. My question ...
  A: There exists nothing in the way of formulas but there is a process to use based on the production ...
Lease Negotiations4/4/2009
  Q: Mr. Summers, thank you in advance for your time. I am in the process of negotiating a new lease ...
  A: My advice is to burn this one and start all over! There's absolutely no way I would approach any ...
till shortages/ errors in cash drawer3/31/2009
  Q: Where do i start, to find procedures that my boss can implement to make employees accountable for ...
  A: 1. You can't legally hold any cashier accountable for shortages unless you can prove theft. 2. You ...
restaurant delivery service3/13/2009
  Q: I am a new start up company looking for a few answers before I begin operation. How does a mid-west ...
  A: Production costs would dictate a lot of what you're asking. It also depends on which part of the ...
Running a mobile food van3/11/2009
  Q: Please suggest what all steps are to be taken to run a mobile fast food van in India,delhi. Please ...
  A: I never address the legalities of anything in any forum because you need to consult with someone who ...
direct mailing1/26/2009
  Q: Since opening, we have included comment cards with every bill at the end of our guests visits. We ...
  A: The biggest problem with operators and email newsletters is that they don't segment their guests ...
Increasing Revenue while under remodel1/22/2009
  Q: I work for a private active adult country club. We are beginning remodeling on our ballroom for 3 ...
  A: There's nothing like losing your main revenue stream to show you how unprepared you are to handle ...
Maintance cost1/11/2009
  Q: What can a person estimate what building equipment maintaince cost would be on a 15 yr old fast food ...
  A: It sounds like your building estimates for a purchase or lease. Either way, there's no way to ...
restaurant12/31/2008
  Q: i am trying to gage how much revenue i should be doing. i have a 65 seats. we are a casual fresh ...
  A: ..in order to determine what? How effective your marketing is? To determine your market share? Are ...
Renting out our Kitchen Space12/29/2008
  Q: We are a small private organization looking to rent out our kitchen space ( concession stand). What ...
  A: I do not know where you are located so I will address these generally. You are technically entering ...
rent12/28/2008
  Q: Is there a guideline as to what percentage of sales you should be spending on rent, or is it based ...
  A: 4-6% on rent only. 6-8% on total occupancy costs. Customer volume? You mean sales? What else is ...
draft beer12/23/2008
  Q: Opening a mexican rest and bar,debating on whether we should invest in draft beer system or just ...
  A: Depends... 1. What defines your concept? 2. How does beer fit in with your concept? 3. Do you have ...
Restaurant Management Compensation12/19/2008
  Q: I was approached recently to train as a manager of a small steak house. Gross revenues this year ...
  A: "A" manager? or "The" manager? What's the position you are being hired for? How many other managers ...
restaurant12/14/2008
  Q: our company has opened frozen and read to eat meat products in various parts of the town.Please ...
  A: Need more information here. 1. You have opened stores? Or you are selling your products through ...
hot dog business12/3/2008
  Q: I live in rockland county ny my wife and i are thinking of starting a hot dog luncheon business ...
  A: Until either of you have sufficient experience at the ownership or senior management position, I ...
restaruants requirements11/20/2008
  Q: I am interesting in opening a small fast food restaurant, so I was trying to get all of the ...
  A: Depends on your location and concept, finance needs, building needs, etc... It's obvious that you ...
seating and dishes10/30/2008
  Q: I figure that a 1500 sq ft kitchen is good enough for my moderately upscale full service dine-in ...
  A: 1. You're working backwards. Production doesn't come first - sales does! Maximize sales p.s.f. based ...
RE: Small Bakery Business9/17/2008
  Q: Greeting, Thank you for taking time on this email. I have a few questions on starting a small ...
  A: Then this isn't a bakery, it's a food distribution business. You will need to check with your local ...
pizza shop startup9/4/2008
  Q: Hey Jeffery, I noticed on another post that you advised you could start a pizzeria for under ...
  A: There are none. The only way to do it is to gain insight and knowledge of the opportunities in your ...
Cost of food ratio8/25/2008
  Q: My friend who is working for a golf course which has recently changed ownership called me today and ...
  A: The formula you seek is here... ...
In need of some advice...8/25/2008
  Q: my name is Juanita. My husband and I were recently offered the opportunity of “buying” an excising ...
  A: If you have no experience in this business, I would advise against it. Simply being in a business ...
contruct and email marketing newsletter for our restaurant8/20/2008
  Q: what would cost be to create newletter for my restaurant high end italian and 3 pizzerias. ...
  A: You don't want to do a newsletter. You want something that can be interactive and engaging with your ...
starting up7/21/2008
  Q: Recently, a very good friend of mine and I have been planning out maybe starting a restaurant ...
  A: While you can find suppliers and other resources online, you will need to hire a consultant to help ...
already established resturant7/20/2008
  Q: my mother and I are buying a breakfast/lunch resturant.together we have 70 years of complete ...
  A: Your question was still open when I logged back in to answer another one, so forgive me if this is ...
Concept of Running a Restaurant Business.7/19/2008
  Q: Can i know what's the mean of concept?Why do we need concept when running a restaurant?Can you help ...
  A: The idea of defining your concept is in knowing you you are, what you do and to whom you do it! ...
How do quick-serve restaurants make money?7/4/2008
  Q: and am encouraged by the clarity and honesty, yet the brevity, too. Hopefully, my question will be ...
  A: The industry average for QSR profit margins is still under $0.06 per each dollar of sales. Even the ...
Build-out costs6/20/2008
  Q: I'm looking at opening a restaurant in Arlington, VA. I have written a business plan and am ...
  A: I would need more information on what you are actually doing to complete the TI to estimate those ...
Your Answers6/7/2008
  Q: I follow your answers to a lot of questions on this forum and I just have to say that it doesn't ...
  A: Well first thank you for such kind words - it's nice to hear. You are right. Most questioners do ...
Moving from catering to restaurant6/4/2008
  Q: I have a fully mobile 24'x 8' cook trailer that I use at festivals, rodeos, and for catering. I ...
  A: They own the building and have a ready made base of guests. For that, they get a premium price for ...
Problems with looking at blank spaces6/4/2008
  Q: I'm in a situation where I am interested in opening a restaurant. I've experience and training in ...
  A: $40 psf tells me nothing without knowing the size of the space. the bottom line is that total ...
Purchasing a closed restaurant5/9/2008
  Q: A restaurant and bar had closed down because of non-payment of the rent. So essentially the ...
  A: Lots of questions here. Are you assuming the lease or negotiating a new one? Are you assuming the ...
staffing the kitchen of a seasonal restaurant5/8/2008
  Q: I own a small upscale diner-like restaurant run only in the summer months. We are in very high ...
  A: Marketing isn't just for building sales. It's also for finding and keeping "A" level talent. You're ...
End of Month ordering4/28/2008
  Q: I am having a hard time understand the concept of ordering cheap at the end of the month and then ...
  A: There is no explanation that makes sense because the idea doesn't make sense. You are right. The ...
New restaurant concept.4/9/2008
  Q: I am opening a semi-service restaurant and the concept stems from our sister company which is full ...
  A: Unless you can increase the number of seats you have, or your ability to turn them, there really is ...
restaurant delivery service (RDS)4/7/2008
  Q: I am a new start up company looking for answers to complete and begin operation. Do u need a ...
  A: All of the licensing questions should be directed to the appropriate authority in your area. Health ...
Hawaiian BBQ3/29/2008
  Q: See L&L growing, like to open the Hawaiian BBQ restaurant. I got a great deal, the owner runs a ...
  A: 1. No. Much too expensive. 2. Find a location that has a 6% - 8% total occupancy cost. 3. ...
partnership options3/24/2008
  Q: I'm discussing forming a partnership with two investors to open a Bistro in Seattle. Their ...
  A: 1. Your labor would translate as much or as little as you want to define it in your operating ...
Chain Approach/directory3/24/2008
  Q: 1. In fresh produce industry there is a "Blue Book" credit rating book. Is there a similar ...
  A: 1. Depends on the issue(s) you are researching. There are several sources of information you can use ...
How much to serve2/23/2008
  Q: I am opening a small take away soup and pasta outlet. Where people would come to pick up a meal on ...
  A: It’s not that simple. You simply can’t add products to your menu at random, without considering how ...
new company2/18/2008
  Q: I want to start bottling my own barbeque sauce and selling it in Florida, what do I need to do ? ...
  A: This is a very long and detailed process to explain. I have actually answered a similar question ...
take over lease1/19/2008
  Q: I am currently looking for a pizza franchise to come in and take over my lease. Where is the best ...
  A: First you need to understand what the terms are, under your lease, to make this happen. Most leases ...
restrooms12/13/2007
  Q: What size should the bathrooms be for a 100 seat restaurant? ANSWER: Bathroom size is usually ...
  A: There is no average size. Once again, bathroom size is usually dictated by your local Health Dept ...
Noodling around12/10/2007
  Q: I would like to open a Noodle House with salads. Cost per bowl 8-12.00 and 8.00 for a huge salad. ...
  A: One of the services that your local restaurant equipment provider offers is to help you design an ...
Fast Food chain restaurant11/29/2007
  Q: I have brought in a fast food franchise for a year and doesn't seem to do good. it's there a way ...
  A: There are numerous ways of doing just that but without knowing more about the situation I could not ...
Food Testing11/29/2007
  Q: My wife and I are preparing to open a patio style takeout restaurant. The menu will be Southern ...
  A: It's called a V.I.P. party and it's a very good event to have to kick off the opening. The only ...
How to staff a kitchen11/28/2007
  Q: My kitchen prepares chinese cuisine, separated to two sections, mainly the main dish section and the ...
  A: Are you saying you have 6 chefs and 3 "helpers" to cook a lunch that only serves 46 guests? If so, ...
opening a chinese restaurant11/26/2007
  Q: How much would it cost to open up a Chinese restaurant in England? What sort of profit would I be ...
  A: If you can dream it, it's feasible, but that doesn't make it necessarily the right thing to do. ...
rent based on % of sales11/15/2007
  Q: I am looking to rent space for a 8000 sqft restaurant. the landlord is wanting to base the rental ...
  A: Usually there is a base rent plus % rent. Each value will depend on what your area market averages ...
Annual Sales figures10/24/2007
  Q: Jeffrey, Is there a one stop resource for annual sales figures posted by restaurant chains? I ...
  A: Nation's Restaurant News, Restaurant Business and other industry magazines annually publish this ...
Reopen an existing bar/restaurant10/8/2007
  Q: A Mexican restaurant has just shut down as a result of divorce, although they were very busy and ...
  A: Your feeling is correct! Unless you have experience in the industry or a partner who does, my advice ...
profit/loss and assumptions!10/4/2007
  Q: I'm pretty sure this is a very general question that may not have an easy answer, but here goes: We ...
  A: 1. If they are open to anything, I would suggest looking into a Branded franchise of one of the more ...
HOW TO FIND A GOOD CHEF10/3/2007
  Q: my wife and I are in the process of purchasing a restaurant/lounge. It is a running business, but ...
  A: Your Executive Chef will be the 2nd most important hire you make. There are a legion of variables ...
education9/24/2007
  Q: i am currently enrolled in college but i realized the the program i am in is not for me, and since ...
  A: Running a restaurant isn’t just something to choose to do, because all other options don’t sound ...
buying a restaurant9/11/2007
  Q: My fiance and I are looking at buying a restaurant in Mount Tamborine. We are only 24 we have the ...
  A: While there is not enough information about the specifics, knowing that you have no reserves is ...
take over lease8/29/2007
  Q: My husband and I have an opportunity to take over a current 50 cap. bbq restaurant. The owner is ...
  A: Tons of questions here – not the least of which is; 1. Why are you paying to only manage the ...
Restaurant costs8/22/2007
  Q: What is the absolute maximum cost in rent, food, beverages and payroll that you have to have in ...
  A: Occupancy costs should never run above 8-10%. Food & Beverage + Labor = Your “Prime Costs” and ...
buying restaurant appliances.8/21/2007
  Q: I was told that the highest expence in the restaurant business is kitchen applinces, could you let ...
  A: It is false. The most expensive item in a restaurant is an empty chair! However, if you are ...
Researching your Market8/14/2007
  Q: I am interested in possibly opening a small Portuguese cafe selling a certain specialty Portuguese ...
  A: I apologize for not answering your questions sooner. Seems we had some technical difficulties at ...
buying a cafe8/7/2007
  Q: I need advice quickly. I am currently a high school teacher that is tired of the system. I am 49 ...
  A: There’s no such thing as a “little mom & pop” place, that, if not managed successfully, will still ...
Restaurant Partnership8/3/2007
  Q: I was wondering if you could help us with some advise. I own a small restaruant that fits 30 ...
  A: The agreement can be anything you want it to be about. You can give as much or as little control ...
Restaurant Design6/29/2007
  Q: Jeffrey, can you direct me to a good resource to find restaurant designers? I know there are some ...
  A: Your architect should be able to help you find a good designer. If you do not have an architect, ...
buying a restaurtant, but have no experience5/27/2007
  Q: Just wondering if you have any advice for me and my 2 friends who are looking to buy a small 40 ...
  A: 1. No plan for success. No business plan. No Marketing plan. No understanding of the marketing ...
POS selection5/14/2007
  Q: Jeffrey, is there one source for solid, OBJECTIVE advice on POS systems available for our industry? ...
  A: A complete database for all POS systems and a comparison of features between them? No. You will have ...
Finding information5/1/2007
  Q: Jeffrey, thank you for the quick response to all of the questions that I've been asking. I'm ...
  A: Service, menu and the style of cooking you employ also, plus about a thousand other factors to boot! ...
Franchising4/27/2007
  Q: Jeffrey, when an operation is considering franchising it's organization, what can be considered ...
  A: Huge question! There are no numbers available that can be used to extrapolate any type of ...
Food costing a salad bar4/26/2007
  Q: Jeffrey, my question is two fold. One, is there a standard food cost formulation for an extensive ...
  A: 1.Yes. But the number of items has nothing to do with the calculation except that obviously, the ...
CAMS?4/26/2007
  Q: Jeffrey, I see this term a lot and I am not familiar with it...
  A: C.A.M.- Common Area Maintenance...the costs associated with maintaining these areas for all tenants. ...
Restaurant Labor Cost4/9/2007
  Q: Summers, I live in a retirement community with some 6,000 residents, a main clubhouse and two ...
  A: Industry averages should never be applied to any operational decision making process and should ...
Restaurant in peril4/4/2007
  Q: I manage a restaurant in a very rural town. We have a 200 seat capacity and are open Fri-Sun, and ...
  A: You have the answer...look for another job! And stop worrying about your reputation. If you do what ...
Cleaning3/8/2007
  Q: What is the most accurate way to keep your employees clean behind the bar. I have a daily opening ...
  A: This is specific to your bar. Make the list, then as you find things that need to be done, add them ...
Esisting numbers2/5/2007
  Q: If you wouldn't mind elaborating a little as to why they don't that would be helpful. Thanks, ...
  A: I would need much more information than you have here to do that. Anytime I see a nearly 20% margin ...
Buying a Restaurant/Cafe1/20/2007
  Q: My husband and I made an offer on a 5 day sandwich and soup shop located in a local business ...
  A: Again, not enough information here, also you’ve already made an offer, why ask now? But here goes. ...
Profit1/9/2007
  Q: Our small cafe is supported right now with in house catering. We see any were from 325.00 to on a ...
  A: You are in the same boat as a lot of my former clients used to be. You are not going to grow your ...
finding a property12/19/2006
  Q: does the city provide information on current available properties for lease and the remaining ...
  A: To answer your question directly, some Chambers of Commerce do compile lists of available lease ...
lease11/24/2006
  Q: Here is the scenario: I want to start a fast food/drive thru restaurant, tweak the first one and ...
  A: Let’s first remember that Everything is Negotiable In discussions with operators, leasing ...
buying restaurant11/14/2006
  Q: I want to buy a restaurant and bar. I have previously bought both before, but usually the assets of ...
  A: Hey cool! While you’re at it would you like to buy this great bridge I own in Brooklyn? I’m sure ...
Manufacturing soup11/13/2006
  Q: To be honest with you, we have not done that much as of today. We have a logo in mind, but nothing ...
  A: So many people I know, most of them professional chefs or independent restaurant owners, dream of ...
Need fast increase in sales11/11/2006
  Q: I need some advise concerning how to market with very little funds for a restaurant/ice cream parlor ...
  A: Without knowing anything about your business, that’s almost an impossible question to answer. THE ...
Creamers11/9/2006
  Q: We are having trouble finding the solution to half & half creamers. We must use a container for ...
  A: Use a smaller “single serving” pourer. They come in varying sizes and are available at most any ...
marketing11/4/2006
  Q: would it cost more to have an on-staff marketer or off-staff marketer? i have six team members for a ...
  A: The answer to the first question is it will definitely cost more to have a marketing specialist on ...

All Questions in This Category

Running a Restaurant

Jeffrey Summers

Top Expert on this page