Running a Restaurant/Questions Answered by Expert Tony Figurelli

SubjectDate Asked
pricing5/16/2013
  Q: what is the formula for pricing a cocktail recipe?
  A: The recipe of the cocktail will have all the ingredients broken down into an ounce cost based on the ...
food/liquor cost3/12/2013
  Q: We bought into a sit down pizza/sports bar. The managing partner has never done a food/liquor ...
  A: In the establishment that you've described, you should be doing at minimum a monthly inventory ...
restaurant leases12/26/2012
  Q: What percent of sales against a fixed minimum rent will a chain like Lone Star, Red Lobster, ...
  A: Each chain and each location is obviously different. You basically pay for what you get, as an ...
Sports Bar/Snacks11/28/2012
  Q: We operate a Sports Bar/Family Restaurant with a considerably large menu. We serve everything from ...
  A: Your question is always one that gets asked and unfortunately every operation seems to be different. ...
Buying a Restaurant10/22/2012
  Q: I am thinking of buying a restaurant that has closed because of partnership issues. Here are some ...
  A: Your Food Cost is your COGS...unless you were thinking this was something else. I don't see Labor ...
Opening a restaurant7/9/2012
  Q: I am planning to open a restaurant in Dubai where my friend is an expert in running and managing ...
  A: Sorry for the delay...I've been opening a new restaurant. The genesis of a good partnership is a ...
business start up7/5/2012
  Q: I am getting close to starting a counter service bbq restaurant, and i was wondering what would be ...
  A: While I am obviously not an attorney I can tell you a little about my past experiences in these ...
I need feet through the door2/28/2011
  Q: We recently opened our restaurant and things are going better than expected. We're making our ...
  A: It sounds like you're doing all the right things that will make you successful. The most obvious ...
restaurant2/13/2011
  Q: If you kindly inform me about national peculiarities during service in a restaurant. May be you ...
  A: The best way to learn about the restaurant business is to work in it. I am sure there are books ...
US food distribution2/7/2011
  Q: How are you ? I teach International Business at a private university in Illinois. My students and I ...
  A: I'm sorry this took me so long to answer. You may use my name and information in your report. ...
TIPS1/4/2011
  Q: good afternoon!, you mentioned before that the tips are part of the net WHEN they are included in ...
  A: I know restaurants that take the CC fees from servers in their tip out calculation at the end of the ...
Starting a fast food restuarant12/25/2010
  Q: My wife and i have been thinking of starting a small business for some time now. We've done some ...
  A: You are moving into an area that I have seen many investors go...the restaurant zone. I can't tell ...
COGS9/8/2010
  Q: I run a franchise. Is a new franchise and I'm the first to be the a separate owner from the Brand ...
  A: I'm sorry for the delay in answering, I was doing an opening. I have never heard of putting a ...
Labor, food and beverage cost %8/19/2010
  Q: In a restaurant doing 2mil a year what do you want your foh labor %, boh %, tot%, What do you want ...
  A: Some factors that play into analyzing food and labor costs are: 1. Food sales vs. alcohol sales (is ...
starting a small sandwich shop or food truck8/19/2010
  Q: I have been working in the trades for the last 8 years or so but have found it time to move on. One ...
  A: I have a lot of information on all of the areas you asked about, it's tough to put that into a 1-2 ...
increase traffic8/1/2010
  Q: I've been in this Restaurant for 23 years.We're in a small town,14,00 and business is flat.I ...
  A: First off, you have been there for 23 years and don't know what is wrong with your business being ...
free standing building vs shopping center6/3/2010
  Q: i am a chef/owner of a 3500 Sqf italian restaurant,which it does pretty well so far, i am offered a ...
  A: Ciao Gian, It is difficult to rate a free standing restaurant over a strip mall spot because of the ...
Location n Menu5/24/2010
  Q: I have heard that location is everything. My concept is vegetarian fast casual style food. What ...
  A: You are answering your own questions. The location has two restaurants that are failing, it's on ...
costs3/4/2010
  Q: I was wondering what these percentage on average are or a range in many restaurant are, please? ...
  A: You really can't put an average on these numbers, sales volume alone will change your percentages in ...
bar/restaurant lease and start up2/24/2010
  Q: looking to lease a restaurant, its 2 years old in a residential location, owners had unlimited funds ...
  A: You are correct in my opinion that total occupancy costs should be 6-10%, I look for it to be no ...
pre-opening salaries1/11/2010
  Q: I am chef/owner of a new restaurant which will open in about 2 months, after some redecorating. I ...
  A: Depending on the scale of the operation and the project, I typically like to have my FOH mgr and ...
Wine Promotion & Beverage Program -> Profitability12/21/2009
  Q: I have heard it said that "it's the wine list that is the profit centre in most restaurants." How ...
  A: So sorry this took so long getting back to you...the short answer is a lot! A restaurant can have ...
information and guidelines12/14/2009
  Q: I'm looking into opening my own breakfast/lunch restaurant in San Diego, ca What are the first and ...
  A: You are taking on what could be either a very rewarding experience or a very frustrating one. It ...
BOH vs. FOH Payroll12/9/2009
  Q: Could you provide a percentage benchmark for BOH vs. FOH salary percentages in respect to sales? I ...
  A: That's a little tough to pinpoint not knowing exactly what the concept and style of service is. ...
Profit margin of different products12/8/2009
  Q: What is the profit margin of different products/industries?
  A: Not sure exactly what this means but I keep my food costs between 26-32% of food sales. I keep ...
operating partner12/3/2009
  Q: I have a great location but I'm unable to make it work, I have 7 years on a lease with an option. ...
  A: Jim, Email me at tfigurelli@gmail.com with some specific information on the location, -name of the ...
Kitchen Labor Cost11/30/2009
  Q: We are a full-service upscale casual restaurant with 110 seating capacity. I try to keep my kitchen ...
  A: Everyone manages their labor differently, in my opinion, you are correct to only include your hourly ...
sweat equity11/29/2009
  Q: print, etc) as well as event planning and overall management. I was invoicing the company directly ...
  A: Well, it would be better to get a proposal from the owners rather give them one. Let's say for ...
Employee Meal Periods11/26/2009
  Q: I was wondering if you could clarify a few things? I'm am a first time GM in a restaurant in CA. ...
  A: I am not an attorney nor do I give legal advice. I would strongly suggest that you consult with an ...
Time Sheet rights11/6/2009
  Q: I work in a restaurant in California. I have worked there for almost a year now.. In this year, I ...
  A: I know that California is very strict regarding employee breaks, and there are many instances where ...
wanna know11/4/2009
  Q: do we need to register our trademark or logo anywhere? what is the tax principle applicable to our ...
  A: You should register your name and your logo if possible. Don't understand your other question...you ...
Headquarter Overhead10/2/2009
  Q: Perhaps it's different by concept, but in a large restaurant chain or multi-concept organization ...
  A: Obviously you are going to have to account for all expenses of a HQ/Corporate office and it should ...
restaurant location9/23/2009
  Q: I am looking to purchase a small breakfast/lunch cafe. The places I am looking at are located ...
  A: If they show you tax returns or sales tax returns you can be assured of the numbers. You are ...
raising restaurant capital for expansion9/5/2009
  Q: I currently own a quick service breakfast and lunch restaurant now for 4 yrs. The restaurant is 2000 ...
  A: It is much easier for an established restaurateur as yourself to raise capital for future ...
Taking over an existing Deli8/7/2009
  Q: So, my husband has been in the food industry for 20+ years, we've happened to come across the ...
  A: Unfortunetly my advice to you is to stay away from this deal. Owning a restaurant can be a moneypit ...
Average rent for a 500sq feet restaurant in Manhattan8/1/2009
  Q: I am doing a business plan for a restaurant, and was wondering the average rent per month for a 500 ...
  A: I haven't had to do any dealings in NYC for a long time so my current knowledge of average rents ...
Formula for finding average cost per person7/25/2009
  Q: I am considering starting a restaurant with a partner. Our question is how can we come up with a ...
  A: Christopher, Asking me what profit you can expect from a potential investment is like asking me how ...
restaurant maintenance7/23/2009
  Q: I have a 14 room boutique Hotel with a 90 seat fine dinning restaurant and 60 seat lounge that I ...
  A: I really would have no way of knowing what your maintenance costs SHOULD be, not knowing the size, ...
no capital7/20/2009
  Q: I've heard that if a property has been sitting for a bit you can ask the owner to give you a chance ...
  A: You should always ask for free rent, especially in these hard times. All he can do is say no, but ...
liquor and food costs7/10/2009
  Q: How do I calculate food and liquor costs?
  A: There are two types of costs on a restaurant financial statement: "Cost of Goods Items" instead of ...
building a kitchen6/24/2009
  Q: Can you tell me if the inspection will pass with us having popcorn type ceilings in the kitchen. ...
  A: The ceiling needs to be fire rated, most drop ceilings have tiles that will suffice in a kitchen ...
Investing in a restaurant6/24/2009
  Q: A woman I know who has successfully operated a cafe in Atlanta for 10 years has asked if I want to ...
  A: It depends...your question is hard to answer and will change with different situations If she is ...
Payroll Methods6/13/2009
  Q: I've been with this restaurant for a year and recently just changed their method of Payroll. Before ...
  A: Illiana, I don't really know the law in Washington state but it sounds a little fishy to me. You ...
Business plan6/9/2009
  Q: Tony, I am putting together a business plan for a blues / BBQ bar in Philly. I do not have a ...
  A: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I was involved with a restaurant opening... In answer ...
Labour costs and wages5/20/2009
  Q: Tony, I recently became the GM of a casual fine dining restaurant. I'm responsible for scheduling, ...
  A: Edward, If I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like you are being given a total labor budget ...
FOOD PORTIONS5/16/2009
  Q: I'M LOOKING TO OPEN A FAMILY DINER. I NEEBAJJD HELP FINDING A PORTION BOOK ON SERVING SIZES.IS THERE ...
  A: There is no set size for portions, rather systems to ensure the portions you set are adhered to. ...
what to do with amazing cook son5/13/2009
  Q: My 22 year old son has had a passion for cooking spicy foods for many years. He has concocted dishes ...
  A: My last question that I answered addressed a lot of your question to me, but like many, many people, ...
college5/6/2009
  Q: I REALLY WANT TO OPEN A RESTAURANT IN THE DISTRICT OF WAIANAE ON THE ISLAND OF OAHU WHERE I ...
  A: I can't tell you how many people contact me with absolutely no idea of how hard and how expensive ...
resrevations5/2/2009
  Q: We have 150 seats in our new restaurant. Everyone wants to come between 5 and 730 pm what is the ...
  A: This is a nice problem to have these days...a lot of restaurants would kill for too many customers ...
restaurant accounting staff4/27/2009
  Q: Fiurelli, Just to ask how many staff should compose your adminisstrative team for accounting in a ...
  A: I think one bookkeeper to record sales and invoices daily or weekly and perform any other admin ...
LABOR COST.4/25/2009
  Q: Could you please explain to me the formula on labor cost for expample.business volume and average ...
  A: It's easy. Let's say you know you will have $10,000 a week in sales. If you want a 26-28% labor ...
rent equiped restaurant4/20/2009
  Q: how much should i pay in rent per month for a fully equiped rest. in a suburban area of NJ aprox ...
  A: I'm a NJ boy myself having lived most of my life in Montclair, West Orange...actually had a small ...
Club Sandwiches3/30/2009
  Q: A simple question, but what do club sandwiches usually have in them? I had a "club" item before that ...
  A: Not to my knowledge...other than mayo. But these days anything can be called a club sandwich so... ...
opening a pizzeria3/4/2009
  Q: Tony,I own 2 dry cleaners and in one of them I own the building .I have a free standing building ...
  A: You can absolutely do a pizzeria in 1260 sq ft, and I do agree with you that it should be take ...
Starting a new restaurant? Process & Procedures2/17/2009
  Q: I am in the process of planning to open a new fusion concept based restaurant to be located in ...
  A: First off, I am not sure I entirely agree with you on the state of restaurants in DFW vs the rest of ...
chef career2/10/2009
  Q: I want to ask you some questions about what you do as a chef. 1.What made you decide to become a ...
  A: I am not a chef. I am a Restaurant Consultant with much experience as a Manager, Director, ...
Restaurant cost2/9/2009
  Q: Is there a ballpark percentage for the accounting/finance costs as to gross revenue? In house being ...
  A: It's hard to put a percentage to costs because sales volumes fluctuate from one operation to ...
labor cost2/9/2009
  Q: Tony, I operate a full service 175 seat Italian restaurant. My question is, as a rule of thumb where ...
  A: Normally a lot of your targets are going to be related to any salaried costs you might have in ...
Potentially opening a Restaurant in the VI's1/23/2009
  Q: I have an opportunity to open a restaurant in the VI's, St. Croix (Christanstead) to be exact. I ...
  A: I'm sorry for the delay in answering... The best thing to do is contact your local business ...
This will be my first time running a kitchen by myself and I have some ?'s1/23/2009
  Q: First, I live on the Jersey Shore and will be taking on the position of running the ENTIRE food half ...
  A: sorry for the delay in answering ... First off congratulations on your new adventure. Working on ...
Buying/Taking over an existing restaurant1/7/2009
  Q: I live in a smallish family oriented town in northern CT. The town has a really nice town green that ...
  A: I would have some questions for you first and foremost that don't relate to the current situation ...
French Culinary Institute12/27/2008
  Q: I am 19 years old and would like to pursue a career in culinary arts. I have been looking into the ...
  A: The answer to your question is yes. FCI is a well respected school and produces many fine quality ...
Labor Cost12/23/2008
  Q: ..I operate a seasonal bar/ restaurant that runs the gamut in terms of cuisine offered. We offer ...
  A: The reason you can't find any industry standard to your question is probably because when ...
restaurant sales12/17/2008
  Q: our company has opened frozen and read to eat meat products in various parts of the town.Please ...
  A: Some of the things you are currently doing, training staff, marketing on local FM radio, using ...
wine presentation11/14/2008
  Q: Simple question or two. Should (red)bottles in wine racks for display in restaurants be left to ...
  A: In my opinion...Dust on a wine bottle has no impact on an increased perception of the wine to an ...
corn oil residue11/13/2008
  Q: Tony , if you can answer this question correctly I will consider you brilliant! I have researched ...
  A: Ahh, the old corn oil question. Sounds like a homework assignment. In my opinon, the best way to ...
please help me im confused11/10/2008
  Q: !!
  A: Danielle, Not knowing where the restaurant is, it is hard to say what steps need to be taken to get ...
Cutting Costs at Corporate Level11/8/2008
  Q: I work as Purchasing Manager at a multi unit fast casual restaurant. The senior staff has been ...
  A: The first place I look when trying to cut corporate costs is to look to anyone who does not directly ...
Pre-tax profit margins US/Canada10/21/2008
  Q: Pre-tax profit margins for a small to medium size Restaurant comparing a Canadian Resto to an ...
  A: For a $2million(US) restaurant I would say 8% is also a decent EBDITA (Earnings Before Depreciation ...
Partnership arrangement10/17/2008
  Q: Tony, I own a small restaurant and it has been in opperation for almost 1.5 years. Starting from ...
  A: In my mind, the best way to do it is to create a separate corporation, possibly an LLC that is ...
Increasing outside catering sales9/22/2008
  Q: I am the general manager of a great bbq restaurant. We have a standout name in the community and ...
  A: It sounds like you are doing a lot already. Have you had sucess with your efforts? I would scour ...
RE: Small Bakery Business9/17/2008
  Q: Greeting, Thank you for taking time on this email. I have a few questions on starting a small ...
  A: Any retail food establishment needs to have the same licenses regardless of your level of ...
key success factors in the fast food industry8/4/2008
  Q: what are the key success factors in the fast food industry ?
  A: I have worked in all segments of the food industry, including fast food, and the number one success ...
Opportunity to purchase a new existing Italian Restaurant8/4/2008
  Q: Good Afternoon Tony, I have an opportunity to purchase a new existing Italian Restaurant. The ...
  A: Adam, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I was on a project. It sounds as if you have ...
Country Club Food and Labor Costs7/27/2008
  Q: Can you give me an idea of what the average food costs are and labor costs at a country club?
  A: That really depends on the club itself and the membership. Some clubs are happy to break-even, some ...
labor7/18/2008
  Q: What should a full service restaurant's labor percentages be? and what are some ways to cut it down ...
  A: You really have to break labor percentages down into your fixed labor and your variable labor. ...
I am thinking of purchasing a restaurant7/14/2008
  Q: I have been offered the opportunity to purchase a local neighborhood Italian restaurant for under ...
  A: Let me offer some questions... Is the $15,000 owed in back rent included in the $60,000 sale price ...
Food Costs at restaurant7/5/2008
  Q: I own a 210 seat restuarant (acquired 2 years ago). Our food cost is running 42% and labor 25%. We ...
  A: It really depends on the menu you are running and your overall volume. 210 seats is a large ...
bonus plan for BOH manager7/3/2008
  Q: I run a Gourmet Pizza Kitchen that opened 4 months ago. Business is good in that we dont do lunches ...
  A: I would ask you to look at why you took this position...was it just the money or the challenge of ...
Partnership6/24/2008
  Q: I am opening up a small lodge, and my main focus will be on the accommodation side of things. I am ...
  A: If you assume that the restaurant is making 10% of gross sales as an operating profit (a VERY good ...
kitchen cleaning6/21/2008
  Q: I am curios about how often and/or if you should get your kitchen professionally cleaned by a ...
  A: Shelly I dont use professional cleaners for the kitchen, I use my existing staff either my normal ...
Negotiating restaurant rent6/10/2008
  Q: We are a mobile catering business that has been asked to bring our mobile kitchen to an established ...
  A: First off, you should check to see if you are able to serve a "brick and mortar" operation from a ...
Small Restaurant6/5/2008
  Q: My friend plans to open a small theme restaurant, with no prior experience. What resources are ...
  A: That's a tough one...having no experience in this business is probably the number one reason why a ...
Problems with looking at blank spaces6/4/2008
  Q: I'm in a situation where I am interested in opening a restaurant. I've experience and training in ...
  A: Kendle, You have a lot of questions, all good ones...and it may not be the best vehicle here to ...
help me plz6/2/2008
  Q: can you help me find the cost of renting a place. i would like to find about a lot of things..about ...
  A: Pretty vague question there Lina...I always try to keep total occupancy costs (rent, CAM-common area ...
opening a restaurant with a partner5/27/2008
  Q: My wife and I operated a Zagat rated restaurant for 5 years. We were renting. During the third ...
  A: Christopher It sounds to me that you are getting the run-around but it may be because you haven't ...
PIZZERIA SLICES?5/22/2008
  Q: I HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO START A SMALL PIZZERIA IN A HIGH DENSITY UPCOMING AREA IN CHICAGO'S NORTH ...
  A: .. I am sorry for the delay in answering you, hope it hasn't caused you too many sleepless nights. ...
A GOOD HOT DOG5/14/2008
  Q: I live in Nashville, TN. & can't seem to find any specialty restaurants/drive ups which sell or ...
  A: Sorry Mike, I am not a huge fan of big hot dogs, I prefer Nathans footlongs which are long and ...
partnership proposal5/12/2008
  Q: I am a seasoned chef in the us. I am entering a partnership with two other individuals. The ...
  A: It sounds as if you've done quite a bit of quality work developing this business which is essential ...
Purchasing a closed resturant5/9/2008
  Q: A restaurant and bar had closed down because of non-payment of the rent. So essentially the ...
  A: Normally when you purchase a restaurant you are purchasing assets, either equipment, inventory, ...
menu planning5/9/2008
  Q: what are some of the most important step when planning a reataurant menu
  A: Brent, Look first at the layout of your kitchen...a menu should be easy to produce and to do so you ...
bonus5/5/2008
  Q: do chefs get monetary bonus every month?.,what is it based on?,and how much is it ?.
  A: I have given chef's a monetary bonus both monthly and quarterly as I have also given managers. A ...
Start-Up Traffic5/2/2008
  Q: I have a 9 week old small (100 seats) music pub in the southern US. I am building some decent ...
  A: Lunch business is mostly very close business. People tend to eat close to where they work, mostly ...
Ideal Liquor Cost4/18/2008
  Q: What is an ideal liquor cost? I have a restaurant in Cental America and the pricing structure is ...
  A: Depending on the establishment you should look to your closest competitors to find out what they are ...
restaurant percentages4/11/2008
  Q: Hey Tony. I understand that a successful restaurant has to be sitting on some set percentages. For ...
  A: Typical percentages vary for each type of concept however in a broad sense I like to use the ...
hawaiian BBQ3/29/2008
  Q: See L&L growing, like to open the Hawaiian BBQ restaurant. I got a great deal, the owner runs a ...
  A: Your numbers are flawed and it is obvious you don't have a grasp on what it takes to succeed in this ...
gift certificates3/26/2008
  Q: We purchases a restaurant 8 years ago kept the same name and licensing through the state, just ...
  A: Not sure how Hew Hampshire is but some states require that Gift Certificates not have an exporation ...
bar developement3/26/2008
  Q: i've been in the restaurant industry for ten years, and have done eveything you can do, from dishes ...
  A: Good question Jason, you seem like a smart guy. First and foremost you need a good attorney, you ...
Rest Industry3/24/2008
  Q: 1. In fresh produce industry there is a "Blue Book" credit rating book. Is there a similar ...
  A: I have nt heard of such of a book but in these days of all-information I am sure it must be ...
What to sell3/8/2008
  Q: I would like to know what the most popular item of food would be to sell in a small five table ...
  A: What to sell is one of the most important choices in opening a restaurant. There is no way to make ...
opening labor costs2/27/2008
  Q: After working in the corporate environment for the last 15 years I was given a budget for running my ...
  A: Mike, There are many tools I use to calculate my labor cost, but having worked in the business for ...
salary2/21/2008
  Q: I have been working at a bar/restaurant for 6 years and managing it for 3 years. i am currently ...
  A: Jake, You say you have been managing the bar/restaurant for 3 years, I am assuming that you are ...
Question about starting a franching business..2/20/2008
  Q: Im Vito and im based in Europe. After my trip to U.S this summer i got this idea about starting ...
  A: You are asking to learn a lot here in a short amount of time. I get quite a few people who do the ...
Employee meal policy2/12/2008
  Q: Is there a recommended policy for employee meals? Free, percentage discount, only certain items?
  A: How you feed your employees is really different in a lot of places...there is no set policy but most ...
Should I buy the building that I am leasing2/12/2008
  Q: My husband and I own a restaurant for 5 years. The landlord wants us to buy the property instead of ...
  A: Not having the advantage of knowing the location really limits my ability to give you a good ...
Software and pos systems2/5/2008
  Q: I am in the process of writing a business plan to open a market deli. I am hoping to have a very ...
  A: Ask ten people what restaurant POS they prefer and odds are you will get 10 different answers. I am ...
Labor and COGS1/30/2008
  Q: Excellent page, lots of good advice here. We are starting a dinner and a movie theater in a small ...
  A: Depending on the concept and the food being served your food costs can go as low as 25% and as high ...
Calculating food costs1/29/2008
  Q: I am having a difficult time in calculating my actual food costs on some of my menu items. a few ...
  A: You are confusing two separate functions...when you make sauce, grate cheese, break-out toppings you ...
Legal registration for food industry1/24/2008
  Q: My question is what type of State/Federal regulations/permits must I apply for? I'm located in PA ...
  A: I am not familiar with PA laws, all states are different and each local town has it's own set of ...
Pre-opening costs1/23/2008
  Q: Figurelli I'm thinking of starting a restaurant and is in the process of doing a business plan. My ...
  A: Stocking the bar should be the least of your expenses. Consider the process and every expense along ...
Restaurant Rent1/22/2008
  Q: I am considering purchasing a building that has apartments and a 8600 sq ft restaurant. I'm new to ...
  A: In a restaurant as large as this you might want to consider a lease with a guaranteed term in it. ...
possible restaurant opeing1/21/2008
  Q: We are thinking and processing the idea(s) of opening a small diner in our community.There is ...
  A: If you are considering doing double duty as pastor and cafe owner-operator I would ask you to ...
staffing1/20/2008
  Q: I am designing a 60 seat casual/fine dining restaurant as a project for my culinary school ...
  A: The ratio of server to guest is different for a lot but I think the norm is somewhere around 4 ...
Small restaurant in Texas1/18/2008
  Q: Myself and another individual are opening up a new restaurant in Texas, we were told we would need ...
  A: These days seem to be popular days for LLC's. Not knowing the laws of Texas, I would urge you to ...
take out-drive-through1/8/2008
  Q: I would like to read books and/or guides and manuals on how to open a take-out/drive-through place. ...
  A: I'm not really sure there of any "great" books out there on opening a drive-through/take-out. I am ...
opening restuarant12/28/2007
  Q: an opportunity came along to open a restuarant,the owner has offered to not charge any rent for the ...
  A: It's very difficult to determine if this is a good deal or not...not knowing anything about the ...
Restaurant question12/8/2007
  Q: I am considering opening a restaurant in Hammond Louisiana near a college campus, the name will be ...
  A: Darren, Not knowing the specific location or area that you are considering, I can tell you that your ...
Food Testing11/29/2007
  Q: My wife and I are preparing to open a patio style takeout restaurant. The menu will be Southern ...
  A: The idea of a "patio-style" restaurant sounds like an interesting idea...with your described menu I ...
Ideal Labor Costs for Pizza Restaurant11/15/2007
  Q: My family and I own small pizza restaurant that employs 11 people. I fear we our labor costs are ...
  A: Jarryd, It is difficult to calculate if your labor costs are high or not based solely on the amount ...
% expenses11/9/2007
  Q: Mr Figurelli In a restaurant operation, after taking out the cost of sales of the total revenue, ...
  A: Your cost of goods sold is but one key cost in a restaurant financial statement. You have what ...
opening a business11/1/2007
  Q: How much does it roghly cost to start a small sports bar with around 30 seats?
  A: It really depends on many factors, .... I obviously can't ask all those questions here, but a few of ...
Partnership proposal10/30/2007
  Q: Figurelli I'm a chef, returning from Italy to Puerto Rico after 5 years working in different ...
  A: If you have the capital to do it, I would first determine an agreed upon value of the business which ...
help with essay introduction to hospitality & managment10/14/2007
  Q: Sally is the General Manager of one of the best restaurants in town, known as The Pub. As usual, ...
  A: Well Omar, Short of answering your homework assignment I would say you have a few issues that need ...
non payment10/3/2007
  Q: I worked in a reastaurant in Brooklyn for about 5 motnths and they never had me fill out any ...
  A: Not sure if you can even prove you worked there, it sounds like everything was "off the books". You ...
Business loan9/27/2007
  Q: I am with my family trying to buy a subway or some kind of fast food restaurant or by an existing ...
  A: Buying an existing restaurant is a common thing today and should be approached as any other major ...
bonus9/26/2007
  Q: What percentages are usually offered as a bonus to an executive chef for beating or making projected ...
  A: I am a big believer in offering performance-based bonus incentives to the management team. I like a ...
advise on opening a small cafe9/22/2007
  Q: I am thinking about renting a small cafe hambugers and hotdogs. It is already setup for operation ...
  A: Debbie, Your question is EXACTLY the reason why most restaurants don't make it. People always ...
opening a resturant9/12/2007
  Q: I want to open a small family resturant. I have no actual resturant background but management and ...
  A: Opening any small business is hard, but I really don't think most people know just how hard it is to ...
Is this a good idea ?9/9/2007
  Q: I have been contemplating opening a small restaurant for a long time. I am a US citizen with a ...
  A: Your question has reminded me of an old episode of Seinfeld where Jerry tells a local restaurant ...
Starting a restaurant9/7/2007
  Q: I would like to start a pizza restaurant in a very busy location. There are not many restaurants ...
  A: Paying $48/square foot for base rent on a restaurant is risky business. Odds are you also have a ...
Selling my Restaurant8/22/2007
  Q: How do you determine the price of a Restaurant? I have a Touristic Restaurant in a Resort (Cancun) ...
  A: It's very difficult to determine the price of a business based on what you've given me here...I can ...
Restaurant Partner8/3/2007
  Q: I was wondering if you could help us with some advise. I own a small restaruant that fits 30 ...
  A: One of my favorite incentive plans for operating partners is to offer them a hearty base salary and ...
Bringing back a home town name to the city.7/14/2007
  Q: I am looking at bringing back a home town restaurant to my city. This place has been in the city for ...
  A: I think it was Tom Wolfe who wrote the book, "You Can't Go Home Again". While memories of a great ...
All you can eat restaurants6/25/2007
  Q: I am thinking about opening a restaurant sometime in the future and I was just wondering what you ...
  A: Depending on the size and concept $500,000 can be sufficient to open a restaurant, although most ...
Operator/Partner for Bistro in Cancun, Mex.6/18/2007
  Q: with the imminent opening of Puerto Cancun Marina and Golf just across the street, we are now ...
  A: One of the questions a potential investor is going to want to know is the total cost of the project ...
menu pricing6/12/2007
  Q: I am opening an organic health bar in San Diego, CA. I am in the process of pricing out my menu and ...
  A: I always like to keep food costs and paper costs separate so you can better identify a problem if ...
liquor costs5/22/2007
  Q: can you tell me if I am right on this? I run a bar and the liquor cost is consistently below 20%. ...
  A: It sounds to me like you have several potential problems with your beer cost. I typically like to ...

All Questions in This Category

Running a Restaurant

Tony Figurelli

Top Expert on this page