Russian Language/Questions

Dear Liliya,

From my Russian Bible:
Дух Святый найдет на Тебя, и сила Всевышнего осенит Тебя; посему и раждаемое Святое наречется Сыном Божиим.

Please could you explain what раждаемое is grammatically? Some sort of participle? As I'm trying to learn Russian grammatical terms, please could you let me know what the correct Russian term is too (as well as the English)?

By the way, many online versions give рождаемое is this more correct (or more modern)? Incidentally, my Bible has посему but many online versions seem to have почему.

Is this the standard Russian Orthodox translation of the Bible? When was this translation made? It seems to differ greatly from the Russian of today.

Every blessing,

PS Where is the stress on the word раждаемое/рождаемое, please?

Hi Simon,

First of all, the correct form is "рождаемое", not "раждаемое". The stress is on the [a]. The exact translation is "being born". In English this phenomenon is known as the Passive voice in the Present Continuous tense, so the word you are wondering is a passive participle. In Russian, it is страдательное причастие несовершенного вида. If we say simply "born", then it will be translated into Russian as "рождённый" (страдательное причастие совершенного вида).

Secondly, посему = "поэтому", not "почему"

And lastly, I'm assuming you have Russian Synodal Bible.

Russian Synodal Bible (Russian: Синодальный перевод, The Synodal Translation) is a Russian non-Church Slavonic translation of the Bible commonly used by the Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Baptists and other Protestant, as well as Roman Catholic communities in Russia.

The translation began in 1813, after the establishment of the Russian Bible Society and by permission of czar Alexander I. The work was partly halted under a more conservative emperor Nicholas I (between 1825 and 1855), but it was again resumed and completed in the next reign, of Alexander II.

It's only natural that the language of the Bible is different from the modern Russian language, taking into consideration when the translation was made.

Hope this helps.

Russian Language

Top Expert on this page

All sorts of questions concerning the Russian language: spelling, grammar, phonetics, punctuation, word formation, phraseology and more.

I'm a native speaker.