Safes & Security Containers/LeFebure undercounter

Question

I have a chance to buy a LeFebure under counter teller safe  It has a front pull down door with a twist handle key lock.  It has a 1 hour fire list on the door and it is very heavy.
Would this make an adequate home safe or is it easy to break into for a burglar.
Should I look at a better all around safe.

Any info and your expertise is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Answer
Rich,

Safes are built for different purposes.   Fire safes are designed to keep "HEAT" out of the safe, Burglary safes are built to keep "PEOPLE" out of your safe, and Composite Safes are designed to provide BOTH burglary and fire resistance.   How well each of these perform would depend on the standard or level that it is built to.   Weight of a container is NOT a standard that determines how fire or burglary resistive a safe is, though it does make it harder for someone to drag off.

Chances are your container is built to the minimum levels for burglary and fire.   While there are containers that offer 30 min or 45 min - the MINIMUM standard for fire resistance is "1 hour"!   So if your container has a 1 hour label, it meets the minimum standard to keep heat in the INTERIOR of the container, below 350 degrees F, for a minimum of 1 hour.
If the container has a combination lock, with a minimum of 1,000,000 possible combinations, and the door is secured by at least 3 locking bolts, operated by a separate handle, then it meets the MINIMUM standards for burglary resistance.    If as you suggest, it is secured by a handle with a key lock, then it has no burglary resistance.

Generally as no cash was left in these undercounter teller units, overnight, they were not required to meet any type of burglary resistance level at all.

So in answer to your question, this container would NOT be an adequate home safe, and should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry, valuables or valuable documents.

Sorry.

Safes & Security Containers

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)