Safes & Security Containers/Meilink Safe Approx Age

Question
Meilink Safe
Meilink Safe  

Meilink Safe interior
Meilink Safe interior  
Good afternoon Andy, thanks for reading my question; I have a Meilink Safe that was my great grandfathers. the serial number is #36246, demensions are 25" Tall x 16" Wide and 18 1/2 " Deep. i was hoping you could tell me approx what year it was made and if it's collectible? I have the combination, all keys for the inside drawers, the only condition issues are: missing one Finial and paint condition. I've attached some pictures, thanks again, Mark

Answer
Mark,

The Meilink Safe Company was in business from 1899 until it was acquired by FireKing International around 1990.   While safes are still built under the Meilink label, it is not the same company.   While I can tell you that this safe IS a collectible, I would need much better photos to try to determine when it was made and/or if it is an antique - over 100 years.

As far as the missing hinge acorn (finial), you may or may not be able to find one.   You can have replacements duplicated at a machine shop, however to keep them all looking the same, if you have one made, replace them all.   keep the originals to go with the safe, but the new ones will look 100% better.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use on line photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Safes & Security Containers

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)