Safes & Security Containers/Mosler Safe

Question
Mosler Safe double door
Mosler Safe double doo  

Front tag
Front tag  
Oh wise one,
I picked up this Mosler safe and would appreciate any info you can give me on it. The minor research I could do tells me it dates to around 1904. The tag on the front shows a burglary rating of Y-20
or V-20 (I think).
Thanks for your help.
JD

Answer
Jd,

Unfortunately, internet searches don't always yield correct results, especially if all of the information is not taken into consideration.

Underwriters Laboratories didn't start testing and/or labeling safes until 1914, with The Safe Cabinet Company getting the first labels.   Most safe companies didn't begin using UL's services until the 1930's.   The serial number on this label is NOT the serial number for the safe, it is the serial number for the UL inspection tag.

The burglary rating on the safe is a "T-20", and actually stands for "Tamper Resistant - 20 Minutes", NOT burglary resistant.

The fire resistant rating shown on the label "Class A", is a four hour label which was the highest fire resistance test.

Without seeing the safe itself, the best "date" I can give you on the safe would be late 1920's to mid 1940's.

Sorry,  

Safes & Security Containers

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)