Safes & Security Containers/Tann 76 x 48 double door sae

Store Safe
Store Safe  
My father passed away and I am trying to help my mother close out his business. In his store he has a Tann Safe that is 76" tall, 48" wide and 30 inches deep, has 2 doors that are 51/2" thick. It has 5 adjustable shelves 39x19 inches.  The door has 3 round bars that lock, and on the outside of the left door it has a key lock and a tumbler lock.  Can you please help me with the approximate value?  I can not find any labels, UL labels - nothing except the name Tann.  I know that the safe was purchased used in about 1980.  The safe is in perfect condition. Can you recommend a way for me to be able to advertise it for sale?  Any information that you could help me with would be appreciated.  I do not want to sale his safe without knowing I am earning the most I can for my mother.  Again, thanks for any assistance. I am attaching a photo, but I have several other photos of the safe.   Teri

First off I'll start with the "condition" assessment - If it was in "perfect condition, it would be new and in the box - it is not.    The safe is possibly a 40 year old, used safe, in possibly "good" condition.   Without a thorough examination (inspection) by a trained safe technician, even this is questionable.   The older a safe is, the more likely that the insulation material is cracked and broken.   After years of hard use, and abuse, hidden damage is very likely.

Second, if it has no UL tags, then it doesn't meet any current standards for fire or burglary resistance.   I can't tell from the photo, but with the "skirt" around the bottom, there may be wheels on the safe, which would indicate that it was probably designed as a fire resistive container.

Bottom line, as it has no UL labels, or even manufacturers labels indicating the standards it was built to, then it is basically just a locking container.

Value at this point, with the information you have provided:

Fire resistance:          $0     Does not meet current standards for fire resistance.
Burglary resistance:      $0     Not designed as a burglary resistive safe.
resale:          $0     Has no commercial or retail value.   It should not be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.
Antique/collectible:      $0     Not over 100 years old (antique) or 50 years old (collectible).

While it basically has zero value under any of the above categories, this by no way, means that it has zero value, it just means that it has no value under these categories - which is generally the reason that people purchase safes.

If it was in my showroom, it would probably be listed as an unrated container, with a value of between $650 to $850.

Note:   If you find documentation which would change my mind concerning any of the info that you have provided already or that indicates a rating for the safe, I would be happy to reevaluate it for you.

If someone contacted me about buying this safe from you, I would warn them against purchasing it, until it has been inspected by a trained safe technician, due to its age.

Hope this helps,

Safes & Security Containers

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate. NOTE: I also answer safe related questions in the Locksmith and Antique Safe Categories sections.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts top 50 experts. All Experts categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada