Safes & Security Containers/HERRING-HALL-MARVIN FIREPROOF 4-DRAW LEGAL-SIZE FILE CABINET THUMB LATCH BROKE

Question
9-30-13

Dear Andy,

Thank you for this opportunity to ask for your help.

Please help and advise me of some options to get to my files, the thumb latch broke off today and I cannot open the draw!  

We have an old a Herring-Hall-Marvin Fireproof File Cabinet [probably bought new years ago]  for storing important permanent tax, real-estate records, etc. It has served reliably, until today!

Today while I was preparing to transfer files I succesfully opened the top draw using the thumb-latch, as usual, that releases the draw so I could pull the draw out.

It worked ok. unitl the phone rang. I closed the file draw to go answer the phone. When I returned to my work in the file draw, I pushed the thumb-latch latch to open the draw. The thumb-latch broke! Broke off entirely!!! I tried to open the draw anyway, but to no avail!  The draw did not budge!

Andy, What do I do? I need to get to these files.

I cannot open the draw. The cabinet is unlocked. I checked all the other draws, they worked; opened as usual, and each draw has a thumb-latch like the one that broke. Each draw seems the same. The top draw was probably used the most, but only once or twice a year.

Please: Can you advise me of what to do? How to open the draw without the thumb-latch? I need these files tax and real-estate records.

Thank you,

Berdina

Answer
Berdina,

Unfortunately, mechanical problems like this require hands on repairs.   You will need someone from a local safe company or locksmith shop to open the container for you.

As far as repairs, if they can't repair or fabricate the broken piece, it may be time to buy a new one.   HHM has been out of business since they were acquired by Diebold in 1959 and the factory subsquently closed down between 1962-64 - so parts have not been available for these items for around 50 years.

If you don't have a local safe company or locksmith in your area, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Sorry there isn't a better answer.

Safes & Security Containers

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)