Safes & Security Containers/1920's wall safe

Question
Round Wall Safe
Round Wall Safe  

Round Wall Safe-dial
Round Wall Safe-dial  
We have this safe built in the back of our fireplace.  The home was built in 1922, but we are not sure whether it was installed then, or at some time later.

Can you help with a manufacturer, or any input?  We would love to get it open, so far our attempts at manipulation have not yielded anything.

Answer
Jim,

I don't believe the safe is as old as you think it is.   There were several companies making very similar safes during the 1940's through the late 1950's.   I've looked through my archives and yours is "most" similar to a "Knox Wall Safe Company" safe.   These safes were made in Los Angeles, CA.

This door should have 2 wheels and a drive wheel.   The dialing sequence should be:

Three times right to your first number,
two times left to your second number,
one time right until the dial stops - door should be open - pull towards you.   The door should be "hinged", but until you have opened it for the first time and verified this, make sure you are prepared for it to "fall out".

Note:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.    Do NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial clockwise (right), stopping the third time the number 50 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you try every other number, this would result in about 2500 possible combinations to test, and probably be close enough to get it to open.

If you still can't get it to open, then it may be time to call a local safe company to have their safe tech check it out and/or open it.

Note:   The instructions I've provided are based on the container that I believe it to be.   Most of the similar manufacturers had their name embossed or engraved on the dials, while Knox did also, I've seen some of their products without their name.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know.  

Safes & Security Containers

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)