Safes & Security Containers/Alpine safe

Question
I recently purchased a house with an old alpine safe in the basement, the previous owners didn't have the combo or know who would. Serial number on knob reads 94242. Just trying to get an idea of how old it is and what kind of locking mechanisms  it would have, it's about 2 ft tall and 18 wide and deep. Thank you.

Answer
Hi Jebb,

The Alpine Safe Company was in business from 1887 until 1916.   As there are no records based on serial numbers or dates, I will need to see your safe to try to answer some of your questions.

Alpine Safe Company used a couple different locks, the dialing sequence will depend on the lock installed on your safe.

I would be happy to look at it for you, to see if I can figure out what you have.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

While I realize with the safe locked up, you may not be able to get all of the photos I need, please do your best.    The more photos you  provide me, the better I can answer your questions.  

Safes & Security Containers

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)