Safes & Security Containers/saga saf-d-posit safe

Question
i inherited this safe-i have the key and combination however, i
can't get the safe to open. is there a certain sequence-how do i clear previous attempts? what are the hashtag and star keys for? do i press one of them before or after the combination? HELP!

Answer
Hi Cindy,

I'm not sure what you are indicating about the "hashtag"??? and "star".   You have asked about a combination - which would indicate a "MECHANICAL LOCK".   "If you are indicating a "#" key and a "*" key, on a digital key pad, then it would be a CODE and NOT a combination.

note:   this would be a "#" key and NOT a "hashtag" which ONLY indicates a "TWITTER" URL page.   As you are NOT trying to access a Twitter page, don't confuse the terms.

I'll start with the mechanical lock dialing sequence.

there are three reasons that safe locks don't open, in order, they are:
1. incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors
2. incorrect combination, wrong numbers
3. mechanical problems.

As the top reason is incorrect dialing sequences, this is due to the previous owner not passing on the combination sequence correctly, or the new owner not understanding the sequence.  Mistakes include misinterpretation of the directions, and/or not counting the revolutions correctly.

Left is counter clockwise, and right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it ARRIVES at the 12 o'clock index mark.  Assuming that your numbers are correct, the dialing sequence would be:

4 time right to the first number,
3 times left to the second number,
2 times right to the third number,
1 time left to the last number - stop -  turn the handle or key to open.

don't worry about "clearing the lock", when it was locked and he dial spun off, it was cleared.   No additional amount of turning on your part will "clear" it any more.   Simply dial as indicated above and you won't have to worry about "clearing" anything.

Dial slowly and smoothly, do not spin or whirl the dial at any time.  If you still are having problems or can't get it open, you may want to have it checked out by a safe tech from a local safe company.

If you have an electronic lock, then you will have to press the "CODE" in the correct sequence to open the safe.   If the safe has a handle, then you need to unlock the "KEY" lock first, before doing the code.    If it has no handle, then insert the key, this would turn as soon as you correctly input the code.

As they have not made SAGA safes in about 20+ years, I'm having to go back in my memory to remember the sequence, but if I remember right, it would be the code followed by the "#" key.

If this doesn't work, try the code followed by the "*" key.

If it still doesn't work, the batteries may be excessively low.   If they are NOT accessible on the outside of the safe (some aren't), then you may need to have the safe opened by a safe tech from a local safe company.

Chances are, if YOU are doing everything correctly and it still doesn't open, it is a battery issue.

Hope this helps,  I've tried to provide you with info about BOTH types of SAGA safes, as you weren't clear about what you actually have.

Safes & Security Containers

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)