Safes & Security Containers/Alpine Safe

I have had this old safe sitting in the corner of my basement now for 10 years.  It came with the house.  We are selling the house and I decided to look into whether or not it has any value.  It is a product of an Alpine Safe Co. from Cincinnati, with all of its original artwork.  It has a 4 serial number on the handle/dial (9044) and is a 50 digit dial. Unfortunately I cannot get it unlocked. Any insight as to how old it could be and if it has any value, and if it does have value what might the cost be to have it properly unlocked.  Thanks.

Hi Shane,

I would be more than happy to take a look at your safe for you, however I can tell you up front if the safe is locked up, I can't evaluate it until it has been opened up.    Obviously any cost to have the safe opened up would be considered a negative value from its potential appraisal value.

You basically have two options you can test dial all the possible combinations for the lock, or you can have a trained safe technician from a local safe company (not a locksmith) open the safe for you - cost could be in the $350-$500 range, so option #1 may be the best.

The dialing sequence for the lock that I would expect to find on this safe, with that serial number and with a 50 number dial would be either LRL or RLR as follows (yes there are two combinations that will open this safe, but the dialing sequence is not interchangeable):

3 times left to the first number,
2 times right to the second number,
1 time right stopping at the third number - turn the handle to open it up.

Note 1:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Note 2:   As the third wheel is also the drive wheel, after you dial the second number if you put slight pressure on the handle as you turn the dial, one complete revolution, you will basically be testing all 50 possibilities in one turn.   If you get the first two wheels lined up, as you put slight pressure on the handle (turning pressure) and you rotate the third wheel one revolution if you have the combination or are fairly close, the handle will turn suddenly opening the safe.

Testing all the possibilities on the first two wheels, and applying slight pressure to the handle while making your last revolution on the third wheel, you only have about 2500 possible combinations to test dial.    Afterwards you can inspect the lock to correctly line up the wheels and obtain a "more accurate" combination.

After the safe is open, I would be more than happy to look at it for you, to see what info I can provide.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.
If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

hope this helps,  

Safes & Security Containers

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate. NOTE: I also answer safe related questions in the Locksmith and Antique Safe Categories sections.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts top 50 experts. All Experts categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada