Safes & Security Containers/Old Safe

Question
Interior view
Interior view  

Front View
Front View  
I have an old safe which I use at work and am intrigued about its history and value. It is a Stephen Cox & Sons of Sedgley near Dudley, Fire Resistant Safe. Any answer you could give me will be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Matt,

Unfortunately my area of expertise is American (US) safes and safe makers from the early 1800's through the mid 1900's.    I've got limited experience with British safes other than what exposure I've gained working on the few that actually made it to the US.

In general, during the late 1800's there were possibly about 100 to 150 different safe makers in four or five cities in England.  From the style it appears that they probably all got their training from the same master safe maker as, with the exception of the locks, handles, key hole covers and name plaques, they were all virtually identically made.    Very similar hinges, drawers, doors, body styles.

Also as ALL of these safes were pretty much limited to dispersion throughout the UK, the values of the safes tend to remain artificially low due to the quantities available.   Outside of the UK or areas of UK dominance, values may increase as their are fewer samples of these safes.

The general pricing that I've seen for many of these containers tends to run about 150-200 British pounds, or about $250 to $320 US.   In areas where these safes are much less common the prices can be easily doubled or tripled, depending on quality and condition of the safe.

As I don't have any personal knowledge of this particular manufacturer, my first recommendation would be to contact two of the other experts on this site  (AllExperts / Antique Safes) for more information concerning your safe.

Please contact either Tom Gordon or Mike Palmer to see about getting specific answers to your questions concerning the safe.   These two individuals are experts in English and European safes.

I apologize as I hate to "pass the buck", but at least I know exactly who to send you to for the right information.

Good luck with your safe.

Safes & Security Containers

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)