Saltwater Aquarium/Beehive looking growth

Water tests are perfect. I had to move this rock and noticed that large growth on the bottom. I call it beehive looking because it has random holes around it. Also the holes open and close or shrink. Its an off white color and about 2 inches tall.
Any ideas would be great thanks

Hi Mike:

Great question.

What you have growing underneath this section of live rock is a species of sponge; I've experienced that species of sponge that are beige, white, and off white in color typically grow in very low light areas, versus their vividly colored pink, yellow, and blue sponge counterparts that like to grow where there is more light.

In conclusion, sponges make a great addition to reef aquariums not only aesthetically, but by contributing to the overall ecosystem of your aquarium. I say this, because they are filter feeders, and will help by consuming nutrients in the water.

I wish you the best of luck with all your future saltwater aquarium endeavors.

All Experts - Editor

OCReef - Director of Operations  

Saltwater Aquarium

David Ocreef

Technical saltwater coral reef related aquarium questions are welcome. Coral, invertebrate, and peaceful species of saltwater fish questions are welcome. Questions asked on Saturday and Sunday will be answered the following Monday. REMINDER: Please check the answers pool to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Questions typically are answered within a 48 hour period, however sometimes it may take longer.

I possess over twenty-five years of hands-on experience and knowledge in the ecology of aquariums. Beyond the traditional, I have successfully tested and sustained environments that have been uncharted territories for hobbyists, for decades. I am the first to admit I don't know it all because there will always be something new, amazing, and exciting to learn about, as discoveries are made. It's a hobby one can never outgrow, or grow tired of.

MASNA - Marine Aquarium Society of North America. Director of Orange County Reef Aquatics -

Publications,, and many others.

After High School, my experience and love of marine animals influenced me to take up studies in Marine Biology. Throughout college, I studied Microbiology with an emphasis on Marine Life, as well as numerous other sciences. I continued to advance in this hobby, by building a dozen or more saltwater ecosystems all utilizing Microbes as the major source of my filtration method.