Saltwater Aquarium/anemone

Question
anemone
anemone  

shrimp
shrimp  
I had just added salt to the tank because it was low on salt. I have an anemone in my tank and it looks as if it's about to pop. what is wrong with it? I also had a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp which tries to get on top of the anemone. why?

Answer
Solimar,

Mixing in saltwater to an already established tank is a very bad idea, you run a great risk of messing up the specific gravity. and in a full reef tank that can have dire consequences. In the future you are best filling a container with water and mixing the salt into that then pouring into the tank. non dissolved chunks of salt can can burn livestock if it comes into contact with it.

as for the anemone, it is simply exchanging water, anemones are mostly made up of water, that water obviously comes from its surroundings. so it will continually switch out the old water with new water. often times it will either deflate or over inflate during the process. its completely normal. as for the cleaner shrimp, it is simply being curious.

hope that helps!

Marcus

Saltwater Aquarium

marcus